all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#10: url-gw should support HTTP CONNECT proxies
       [not found] <87zltuz7eh.fsf@freemail.hu>
@ 2011-07-07 17:53 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2011-07-07 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Magnus Henoch; +Cc: 10

Magnus Henoch <mange@freemail.hu> writes:

Hi Magnus,

> url-open-stream can choose among a few proxies (socks5, telnet,
> rlogin).  It would be nice if it would also support HTTP proxies using
> the CONNECT method.
>
> url-http contains a mention of the CONNECT header, but as far as I can
> see it never did anything useful.  Using url-http carries lots of
> implications that are only valid when using HTTP for data transport.
> Therefore I think that implementing a proxy client in url-gw is the
> correct way to do it.
>
> I intend to work on this.

What is the status of your work?

Tramp supports CONNECT tunneling for years. Maybe we shall move this
implementation to url-gw.el? Of course, for Emacs 24.2 only.

> Magnus

Best regards, Michael.

* bug#10: url-gw should support HTTP CONNECT proxies
@ 2015-03-29  2:31   ` Thomas Fitzsimmons
From: Thomas Fitzsimmons @ 2015-03-29  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: 10, Magnus Henoch

> Magnus Henoch <mange@freemail.hu> writes:
>
> Hi Magnus,
>
>> url-open-stream can choose among a few proxies (socks5, telnet,
>> rlogin).  It would be nice if it would also support HTTP proxies using
>> the CONNECT method.
>>
>> url-http contains a mention of the CONNECT header, but as far as I can
>> see it never did anything useful.  Using url-http carries lots of
>> implications that are only valid when using HTTP for data transport.
>> Therefore I think that implementing a proxy client in url-gw is the
>> correct way to do it.
>>
>> I intend to work on this.
>
> What is the status of your work?
>
> Tramp supports CONNECT tunneling for years. Maybe we shall move this
> implementation to url-gw.el? Of course, for Emacs 24.2 only.

CONNECT support in the url package would be useful for Excorporate,
since it would allow Emacs to connect to the Exchange server through a
proxy.

Thanks,
Thomas