all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: gnus font shortcuts
       [not found] <m37idzaz0e.fsf@home.sweet.home>
@ 2008-05-13  1:48 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2008-05-13  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 12 May 2008 23:28:00 GMT Myriam Abramson wrote:

> I know how to surround a word with "*" to make them *bold* in the email
> message. What do I do to make them appear italic?
>
> Is there a list of those shortcuts somewhere?

That should be all:

  *bold*
  /italic/
  _underline_

@ 2008-05-13 13:01 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-05-13 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 12 May 2008 23:28:00 GMT Myriam Abramson <mabramson@gmail.com> wrote:

MA> I know how to surround a word with "*" to make them *bold* in the email
MA> message. What do I do to make them appear italic?

MA> Is there a list of those shortcuts somewhere?

See the variable gnus-emphasis-alist, you can both see the defaults and
customize it to add new patterns to highlight.  Here's a sample of the
defaults (the actual Lisp form is more complicated, but this should show
it):

	 '(("\\*" "\\*" bold nil 2)
	   ("_" "_" underline)
	   ("/" "/" italic)
	   ("_/" "/_" underline-italic)
	   ("_\\*" "\\*_" underline-bold)
	   ("\\*/" "/\\*" bold-italic)
	   ("_\\*/" "/\\*_" underline-bold-italic))

It's also important to note that only other Gnus users will see these
highlights.  Everyone else will just see the ASCII characters unless
their MUA supports the patterns too.

Ted

@ 2008-05-13 14:59 ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-05-13 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Myriam Abramson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Myriam Abramson <mabramson@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I know how to surround a word with "*" to make them *bold* in the email
> message. What do I do to make them appear italic?

Use _underscores_.

> Is there a list of those shortcuts somewhere?

A lot of it is classic netiquette, so some of us just have the advantage
of having used The Real Internet.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

Ineffective security measure:

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and
properly dispose of this information.

* Re: gnus font shortcuts
@ 2008-05-13 15:00   ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-05-13 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:

> On Mon, 12 May 2008 23:28:00 GMT Myriam Abramson wrote:
>
>> I know how to surround a word with "*" to make them *bold* in the email
>> message. What do I do to make them appear italic?
>>
>> Is there a list of those shortcuts somewhere?
>
> That should be all:
>
>   *bold*
>   /italic/
>   _underline_

I stand corrected; I'll put in that since I choose to use a font that
doesn't have slants, and underlining was originally a printing order for
italics, underlining is still good ;)

Joel

--

@ 2008-05-13 15:18     ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2008-05-13 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 13 May 2008 11:00:31 -0400 Joel J. Adamson wrote:

> I stand corrected; I'll put in that since I choose to use a font that
> doesn't have slants, and underlining was originally a printing order for
> italics, underlining is still good ;)

You can use a different font for italic faces.

David

* Re: gnus font shortcuts
@ 2008-05-13 16:35       ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-05-13 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:

> On Tue, 13 May 2008 11:00:31 -0400 Joel J. Adamson wrote:
>
>> I stand corrected; I'll put in that since I choose to use a font that
>> doesn't have slants, and underlining was originally a printing order for
>> italics, underlining is still good ;)
>
> You can use a different font for italic faces.

Interesting: what variable do I customize?
Joel

--

@ 2008-05-13 17:08         ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2008-05-13 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 13 May 2008 12:35:14 -0400 Joel J. Adamson wrote:

> David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 13 May 2008 11:00:31 -0400 Joel J. Adamson wrote:
>>
>>> I stand corrected; I'll put in that since I choose to use a font that
>>> doesn't have slants, and underlining was originally a printing order for
>>> italics, underlining is still good ;)
>>
>> You can use a different font for italic faces.
>
> Interesting: what variable do I customize?

Actually every face that has set the "italic" flag.  I don't know if
there is a way to find out about all these faces.  A good start is to
customize-face italic and then set every face you want to be italic to
"inherit" from the `italic' face.

IMHO italic looks pretty ugly on computer screens, so there are just
very few cases where I want that (the gnus emphasize thing is one of
them).

David

* Re: gnus font shortcuts
@ 2008-05-14  2:07   ` Myriam Abramson
From: Myriam Abramson @ 2008-05-14  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Joel J. Adamson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Okay, thanks. So, you can't have italics?

> jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) wrote:
> Myriam Abramson <mabramson@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I know how to surround a word with "*" to make them *bold* in the email
>> message. What do I do to make them appear italic?
>
> Use _underscores_.
>
>> Is there a list of those shortcuts somewhere?
>
> A lot of it is classic netiquette, so some of us just have the advantage
> of having used The Real Internet.
>
> Joel
>
> --
> Joel J. Adamson
> Biostatistician
> Pediatric Psychopharmacology Research Unit
> Massachusetts General Hospital
> Boston, MA  02114
> (617) 643-1432
> (303) 880-3109
> Public key: http://pgp.mit.edu
> http://www.unc.edu/~adamsonj
>
> Ineffective security measure:
>
> The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
> for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
> and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other
> use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
> entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this
> information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and
> properly dispose of this information.

--
                                   myriam

From the cat's instruction handbook:

Stay out of open windows during thunderstorms.

* Re: gnus font shortcuts
@ 2008-05-14 14:24           ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-05-14 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:

> On Tue, 13 May 2008 12:35:14 -0400 Joel J. Adamson wrote:
>
>> David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:

>>> You can use a different font for italic faces.
>>
>> Interesting: what variable do I customize?
>
> Actually every face that has set the "italic" flag.  I don't know if
> there is a way to find out about all these faces.  A good start is to
> customize-face italic and then set every face you want to be italic to
> "inherit" from the `italic' face.
>
> IMHO italic looks pretty ugly on computer screens, so there are just
> very few cases where I want that (the gnus emphasize thing is one of
> them).

This works: I set an alternative font family (Utopia, same as
variable-pitch) for the italic face, then set the inherit attribute on
the default face to "italic" and now I get italics in a different face.
Very cool.

Here's the excerpt from custom-set-faces:

'(italic ((t (:slant italic :family "Utopia"))))
'(default ((t (:inherit italic))))

Joel