all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: "Local variables" and continuation lines
       [not found] ` <200202110209.g1B295Y06552@aztec.santafe.edu>
@ 2002-02-11 21:47   ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2002-02-11 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Hello Richard,

you wrote:

    > I think that is confusing, and inconvenient in a practical
    > sense. It would be much better to write

    > [...]

    > 1. The former makes it clear what it means.

I dare say it's only a matter of habit. In my opinion the syntax
isn't very plausible or readable.

    > The latter could mean various different things and you can't
    > guess which.

It is an agreement, as the former syntax also is.

    > It could just be a mistake.

Escaping line ends with "\" could also be a mistake.

    > 2. With the latter, you might accidentally put something in
    > between and it will still "work"
    > [...]
    > but it is a recipe for confusion.

This "feature" could easily be suppressed.

,----
| long-line: "This is going to be a really, really, really, really,
| long-line: really, really, really, really, really long string"
`----

Visually evident that the second line is acontinuation of the first
one.

,----
| long-string: "This is going to be a really, really, really, really,\
| really, really, really, really, really long string"
`----

Could be a syntax error!? Ahhh, at the END of the first line there's
an escape.

    > What do others think?

Yes, what do others think?

Best regards,
cu, -cc-
--
=> GNU Emacs Webring @ <http://www.gnusoftware.com/WebRing/> <=
Look Ma, this man can twist his fingers as if they were made of rubber,

* Re: "Local variables" and continuation lines
@ 2002-02-12 10:47     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-02-12 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cc, rms, emacs-devel

Christoph Conrad <christoph.conrad@gmx.de> writes:

> ,----
> | long-string: "This is going to be a really, really, really, really,\
> | really, really, really, really, really long string"
> `----
>
> Could be a syntax error!? Ahhh, at the END of the first line there's
> an escape.

To me, this looks quite plausible.  Lots of languages have a syntax
where "\" at the end of a line is used as a continuation character.

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)