all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Build Environment in Xemacs
@ 2003-06-05 20:23 James Liang
From: James Liang @ 2003-06-05 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I noticed that there is a compile command in Xemacs, but it seems to
only
let you execute shell commands.

I know that MSVC has a way you can simply use it to run batch files
and it will
parse the output(or look at DOS return values or something) and
provide a summary of number of errors and warnings encountered.

Is there a way to do that with emacs or xemacs?

* Re: Build Environment in Xemacs
@ 2003-06-05 21:09 ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2003-06-05 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi James,

jliang@sandia.gov (James Liang) writes:
> I noticed that there is a compile command in Xemacs, but it seems to
> only let you execute shell commands.
>
> I know that MSVC has a way you can simply use it to run batch files

I don't see the difference between those two statements.

> and it will parse the output(or look at DOS return values or
> something) and provide a summary of number of errors and warnings
> encountered.
>
> Is there a way to do that with emacs or xemacs?

I thought you just said you tried it?  Seeing is believing, but if the
interface is not intuitive enough, you may want to look at the Emacs
manual for an explanation.  The topic "Compilation" and related topics
are mentioned directly in the overview.

Emacs doesn't count the errors and it doesn't make a difference
between errors or warnings.  But otherwise I think it is at least as
good as most IDE interfaces I have seen.

so long, benny

* Re: Build Environment in Xemacs
@ 2003-06-06  9:25 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-06-06  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: jliang@sandia.gov (James Liang)
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 5 Jun 2003 13:23:48 -0700
>
> I noticed that there is a compile command in Xemacs, but it seems to
> only let you execute shell commands.
>
> I know that MSVC has a way you can simply use it to run batch files
> and it will parse the output(or look at DOS return values or something) and
> provide a summary of number of errors and warnings encountered.

I think you are confusing the term ``shell commands'' with ``commands
built into the shell''.

What Emacs documentation really means by ``shell commands'' is that
you can invoke any command you can pass to a shell.  That includes
executable programs with and without optional switches and
command-line arguments, shell scripts (a.k.a. batch files), pipes of
commands, etc.  In short, anything you can type at the shell's prompt
will do.

If you have specific uses of batch files that don't worfk when invoked
from "M-x compile", please tell the specific details (what you typed,
what Emacs did, what messages it displayed, etc.).