all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* CVS Emacs compilation problem
@ 2004-10-27 19:30 Martin Stemplinger
From: Martin Stemplinger @ 2004-10-27 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I just checked out the emacs source from CVS. The compilation fails
while preparing loaddefs.el with the message

Symbol's function definition is void: vc-find-root
make: *** [autoloads] Fehler 255

I'd appreciate any hints what mistake I made here.

TIA
Martin

--
Remove NOSPAM to reply by mail

* Re: CVS Emacs compilation problem
@ 2004-10-27 20:04 ` Hattuari
From: Hattuari @ 2004-10-27 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Stemplinger wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just checked out the emacs source from CVS. The compilation fails
> while preparing loaddefs.el with the message

> Symbol's function definition is void: vc-find-root
> make: *** [autoloads] Fehler 255
>
> I'd appreciate any hints what mistake I made here.
>
> TIA
> Martin

Did you bootstrap it?  I don't recall the details, but try something along
the lines of `make bootstrap'.
--
p->m == (*p).m == p[0].m

* Re: CVS Emacs compilation problem
@ 2004-10-27 20:21   ` Martin Stemplinger
From: Martin Stemplinger @ 2004-10-27 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hattuari wrote on 10/27/2004 10:04 PM:
> Martin Stemplinger wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I just checked out the emacs source from CVS. The compilation fails
>>while preparing loaddefs.el with the message

>>Symbol's function definition is void: vc-find-root
>>make: *** [autoloads] Fehler 255
>>
>>I'd appreciate any hints what mistake I made here.
>>
>>TIA
>>Martin
>>

> Did you bootstrap it?  I don't recall the details, but try something along
> the lines of `make bootstrap'.

It happens during make bootstrap. Should have mentioned it. Sorry!
--

@ 2004-10-27 21:44     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-10-27 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It happens during make bootstrap. Should have mentioned it. Sorry!

The first thing to do is to read the INSTALL.CVS file.
It doesn't answeryour question IIRC, but it does tell you where to post your
question (emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org).

The answer: remove the *.elc files with `make maintainer-clean' and the do
`make bootstrap'.

* Re: CVS Emacs compilation problem
@ 2004-10-28 19:28       ` Martin Stemplinger
       [not found]         ` <mailman.5849.1098994657.2017.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Martin Stemplinger @ 2004-10-28 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier wrote on 10/27/2004 11:44 PM:
> The first thing to do is to read the INSTALL.CVS file.
> It doesn't answeryour question IIRC, but it does tell you where to post your
> question (emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org).

OK I will do that the next time.

> The answer: remove the *.elc files with `make maintainer-clean' and the do
> `make bootstrap'.

That was it. Thanks!

Martin
--
Remove NOSPAM to reply by mail

* line drawing characters
@ 2004-10-28 20:09         ` Greg Hill
       [not found]         ` <mailman.5849.1098994657.2017.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Greg Hill @ 2004-10-28 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using emacs (GNU Emacs 21.2.2 (sparc-sun-solaris2.7, X toolkit))
on a unix system under X.

I would like to create some simple line drawings by mixing
line-drawing characters along with ordinary text.  Surely the One
True Editor is capable of that, but I haven't been able to glean any
useful information on how to proceed from the Gnu Emacs Manual
(Fifteenth Edition), the Gnu Emacs Lisp Reference Manual, or anything
I could find doing a Goolge search.

Can anyone offer me any tips?

Thanks.

--Greg

* Re: line drawing characters
       [not found]         ` <mailman.5849.1098994657.2017.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-10-28 20:58           ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2004-10-28 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Hill <ghill@synergymicro.com> writes:

> I am using emacs (GNU Emacs 21.2.2 (sparc-sun-solaris2.7, X toolkit))
> on a unix system under X.
>
> I would like to create some simple line drawings by mixing
> line-drawing characters along with ordinary text.  Surely the One True
> Editor is capable of that, but I haven't been able to glean any useful
> information on how to proceed from the Gnu Emacs Manual (Fifteenth
> Edition), the Gnu Emacs Lisp Reference Manual, or anything I could
> find doing a Goolge search.
>
> Can anyone offer me any tips?

M-x picture-mode RET
C-c \ hello C-c / word!

Voting Democrat or Republican is like choosing a cabin in the Titanic.

* Re: line drawing characters
@ 2004-10-28 23:09             ` Greg Hill
From: Greg Hill @ 2004-10-28 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:58 PM +0200 10/28/04, Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
>Greg Hill <ghill@synergymicro.com> writes:
>
>>  I am using emacs (GNU Emacs 21.2.2 (sparc-sun-solaris2.7, X toolkit))
>>  on a unix system under X.
>>
>>  I would like to create some simple line drawings by mixing
>>  line-drawing characters along with ordinary text.  Surely the One True
>>  Editor is capable of that, but I haven't been able to glean any useful
>>  information on how to proceed from the Gnu Emacs Manual (Fifteenth
>>  Edition), the Gnu Emacs Lisp Reference Manual, or anything I could
>>  find doing a Goolge search.
>>
>>  Can anyone offer me any tips?
>
>M-x picture-mode RET
>C-c \ hello C-c / word!

Thanks, but that is not what I had in mind.  I am talking about using
special line-drawing characters that are designed for that purpose,
and are not part of the normal ASCII set.

--Greg

* Re: line drawing characters
       [not found]         ` <mailman.5849.1098994657.2017.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-10-29  0:04           ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]             ` <mailman.6056.1099090687.2017.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-10-29  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Hill wrote:
 > I am using emacs (GNU Emacs 21.2.2 (sparc-sun-solaris2.7, X toolkit)) on
 > a unix system under X.

Not as good as Emacs 21.3 or 21.3.50 (CVS), but should be recent enuf.

 > I would like to create some simple line drawings by mixing line-drawing
 > characters along with ordinary text.  Surely the One True Editor is
 > capable of that, but I haven't been able to glean any useful information
 > on how to proceed from the Gnu Emacs Manual (Fifteenth Edition), the Gnu
 > Emacs Lisp Reference Manual, or anything I could find doing a Goolge
 > search.

1. These line drawing characters must belong to some character set
    e.g. Unicode http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2500.pdf

2. Once you've identified the character set you want to use, you need to
    figure out which Emacs coding system supports it.  Then you specify
    that coding system with `C-x RET c' when you edit your buffer/file.

3. Finally, you'll need how to input those characters while you're
    editing.  If your keyboard can enter them directly, `C-x RET k'
    should handle it; but you may need to install LEIM and rebuild Emacs
    and use `C-\'.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: line drawing characters
@ 2004-10-29 22:49             ` Greg Hill
       [not found]             ` <mailman.6056.1099090687.2017.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Greg Hill @ 2004-10-29 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 6:04 PM -0600 10/28/04, Kevin Rodgers wrote:
>Greg Hill wrote:
>>  I am using emacs (GNU Emacs 21.2.2 (sparc-sun-solaris2.7, X toolkit)) on
>>  a unix system under X.
>
>Not as good as Emacs 21.3 or 21.3.50 (CVS), but should be recent enuf.
>
>>  I would like to create some simple line drawings by mixing line-drawing
>>  characters along with ordinary text.  Surely the One True Editor is
>>  capable of that, but I haven't been able to glean any useful information
>>  on how to proceed from the Gnu Emacs Manual (Fifteenth Edition), the Gnu
>>  Emacs Lisp Reference Manual, or anything I could find doing a Goolge
>>  search.
>
>1. These line drawing characters must belong to some character set
>    e.g. Unicode http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2500.pdf
>
>2. Once you've identified the character set you want to use, you need to
>    figure out which Emacs coding system supports it.  Then you specify
>    that coding system with `C-x RET c' when you edit your buffer/file.
>
>3. Finally, you'll need how to input those characters while you're
>    editing.  If your keyboard can enter them directly, `C-x RET k'
>    should handle it; but you may need to install LEIM and rebuild Emacs
>    and use `C-\'.

Thanks.  So far what I have is...

1.  It appears as if U2500-2575 contains the glyphs I am after.

2.  I switched to a computer that has emacs 21.3.1with leim support.

3.  The variable 'charset-list tells me that there is a character set
named "mule-unicode-2500-33FF", which sounds like it's probably a
pretty good bet.

4.  The function 'find-coding-system-for-charsets tells me there is a
coding system named "emacs-mule" that can encode characters in both
mule-unicode-2500-33FF and ascii.

5.  I can use `C-x RET c' to create a new file in a buffer using the
emacs-mule coding system.

Now, what I can't figure out is:

a.  How do I find out what character codes correspond to which glyphs?

b.  How to I get those glyphs to actually appear on my screen?  I
tried eval-ing the following fragment of code

(let ((ic 0))
   (while (< ic 10000)
     (if (char-valid-p ic)
         (insert-char ic 1))
     (setq ic (1+ ic))))

with my "emacs-mule" buffer as my current buffer, and all I get is
regular ascii, a lot of glyphs I am not interested in, and a lot of
empty boxes which are probably where the glyphs I am interested in
should be.

Any more tips you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

--Greg

* Re: line drawing characters
       [not found]             ` <mailman.6056.1099090687.2017.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-10-31 22:30               ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-10-31 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Hill <ghill@synergymicro.com> writes:

> 1.  It appears as if U2500-2575 contains the glyphs I am after.
>
> 2.  I switched to a computer that has emacs 21.3.1with leim support.
>
> a.  How do I find out what character codes correspond to which
> glyphs?

`M-x list-charset-chars RET mule-unicode-2500-33ff' will show you a
table of the chars.  You can insert them with `M-x ucs-insert'.

If you see empty boxes, that means that you need to instruct Emacs to
use a font with coverage of the this Unicode range.

--
Jesper Harder                                <http://purl.org/harder/>

* Re: line drawing characters
@ 2004-11-01 19:44                 ` Greg Hill
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.41.1099338819.8225.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Greg Hill @ 2004-11-01 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:30 PM +0100 10/31/04, Jesper Harder wrote:
>`M-x list-charset-chars RET mule-unicode-2500-33ff' will show you a
>table of the chars.  You can insert them with `M-x ucs-insert'.
>
>If you see empty boxes, that means that you need to instruct Emacs to
>use a font with coverage of the this Unicode range.

list-charset-chars for mule-unicode-2500-33ff gives me all empty
boxes.  I am beginning to suspect that the problem is not so much
with Emacs as it is with my X windows server (eXodus running on a MAC
under OS-9), which must not have a matching font to use for painting
the display.  I will be working with our IT department this week to
(finally!) get my MAC upgraded to OS-10, in hopes that that will take
care of the problem.

Incidentally, the following bit of code tells me that character codes
in the range of 294912 (0x48000) to 311295 (0x4bfff) correspond to
the mule-unicode-2500-33ff character set.

(let ((ic 0) first last)
   (while (< ic 500000)
     (if (eq (char-charset ic) 'mule-unicode-2500-33ff)
         (setq first ic ic 500000)
       (setq ic (1+ ic))))
   (setq ic first)
   (while (< ic 500000)
     (if (eq (char-charset ic) 'mule-unicode-2500-33ff)
         (setq last ic))
     (setq ic (1+ ic)))
   (cons first last))

But list-charset-chars for mule-unicode-2500-33ff shows characters
(which are displayed as empty boxes) from 0x2020 to 0x7F7F.   Is
there some function I haven't found yet that clarifies the
correspondence?

Thanks again for all the help.

--Greg

* Re: line drawing characters
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.41.1099338819.8225.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-11-01 20:31                   ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-11-01 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Hill <ghill@synergymicro.com> writes:

> list-charset-chars for mule-unicode-2500-33ff gives me all empty
> boxes.  I am beginning to suspect that the problem is not so much
> with Emacs as it is with my X windows server (eXodus running on a MAC
> under OS-9), which must not have a matching font to use for painting
> the display.  I will be working with our IT department this week to
> (finally!) get my MAC upgraded to OS-10, in hopes that that will take
> care of the problem.

OK, if you're lucky it might work out-of-the-box.

> Incidentally, the following bit of code tells me that character codes
> in the range of 294912 (0x48000) to 311295 (0x4bfff) correspond to
> the mule-unicode-2500-33ff character set.

Well, yeah but not quite.  2941912 isn't a valid normal char:

(valid-char-p 2941912)
=> nil

but it _is_ a valid generic char:

(valid-char-p 2941912 t)
=> t

... don't ask :-)

--

@ 2004-11-02 15:58                 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-11-02 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder wrote:
 > `M-x list-charset-chars RET mule-unicode-2500-33ff' will show you a
 > table of the chars.  You can insert them with `M-x ucs-insert'.

It's too bad neither of those commands is documented in the Emacs manual.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: line drawing characters
@ 2004-11-03 20:19                   ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-11-03 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Jesper Harder wrote:
>> `M-x list-charset-chars RET mule-unicode-2500-33ff' will show you a
>> table of the chars.  You can insert them with `M-x ucs-insert'.
>
> It's too bad neither of those commands is documented in the Emacs
> manual.

FWIW, `list-charset-chars' is documented in CVS Emacs.

--
Jesper Harder                                <http://purl.org/harder/>