all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#338: Compilation mode: file positions incorrectly identified
@ 2008-05-30 23:38 Ulrich Neumerkel
From: Ulrich Neumerkel @ 2008-05-30 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

--text follows this line--

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

emacs -Q

M-x compile echo % /etc/issue:1:1

(So in stead of doing a real make with real errors, I have just issued
an echo to simulate actual error messages.  See also the recent keys
below that contain all keys typed.)

The compilation buffer now contains incorrectly highlighted (red)
text. Not only the file name, but also the % is highlighted red.  When
typing C-c C-c (compile-goto-error) on that highlighted text I get the
prompt (not shown in *Messages* below):

   Find this error in (default % /etc/issue):

The file name "% /etc/issue" is considered in stead of /etc/issue.

This problem occurs when using the plunit-package in SWI-Prolog. For
all intents and purposes there is no way to resolve this on the side
of SWI by changing the actual message format - this is intimately
mingled to the widely used (almost standard) error-reporting mechanism
in Prolog.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/opt/gupu/share/emacs/22.2/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of 2008-05-28 on gupu.complang.tuwien.ac.at
Windowing system distributor `The XFree86 Project, Inc', version 11.0.4003
configured using `configure  '--without-toolkit-scroll-bars' '--prefix' '/opt/gupu' '--with-git=no''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US
  locale-coding-system: iso-8859-1
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Compilation

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x c o m p i l e <return> <M-backspace> <M-backspace>
e c h o SPC % SPC / e t c / i s s u e : 1 : 1 <return>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu>
<send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
("emacs" "-Q")
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
(No files need saving)
Mark set
Quit

* bug#338: Compilation mode: file positions incorrectly identified
@ 2008-12-28 18:44 ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-12-28 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Neumerkel; +Cc: 338

Ulrich Neumerkel <ulrich@complang.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

  > --text follows this line--
  >
  > Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
  > usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

  > and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.
  >
  > Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
  > and the precise symptoms of the bug:
  >
  > emacs -Q
  >
  > M-x compile echo % /etc/issue:1:1
  >
  > (So in stead of doing a real make with real errors, I have just issued
  > an echo to simulate actual error messages.  See also the recent keys
  > below that contain all keys typed.)
  >
  > The compilation buffer now contains incorrectly highlighted (red)
  > text. Not only the file name, but also the % is highlighted red.  When
  > typing C-c C-c (compile-goto-error) on that highlighted text I get the
  > prompt (not shown in *Messages* below):
  >
  >    Find this error in (default % /etc/issue):
  >
  > The file name "% /etc/issue" is considered in stead of /etc/issue.
  >
  > This problem occurs when using the plunit-package in SWI-Prolog. For
  > all intents and purposes there is no way to resolve this on the side
  > of SWI by changing the actual message format - this is intimately
  > mingled to the widely used (almost standard) error-reporting mechanism
  > in Prolog.

This sounds like you need to add support to
`compilation-error-regexp-alist-alist' for this

@ 2011-09-11 17:07   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-09-11 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: Ulrich Neumerkel, 338

Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:

> This sounds like you need to add support to
> `compilation-error-regexp-alist-alist' for this
> "widely used (almost standard) error-reporting mechanism in Prolog"

Yes, it doesn't sound like a bug in `M-x compile' in Emacs, so I'm
closing this report.