all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Cut and paste
@ 2002-10-13  9:31 Keith O'Connell
From: Keith O'Connell @ 2002-10-13  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I currently use emacs for all my editing, except email where I am using Sylpheed. The problem I have is that I want to cut text from an X based emacs window and drop it into an email I am preparing under Sylpheed. Unfortunately cut-and-paste does not work as the paste in Sylpheed does not see the kill-ring text.

How is this got around?

Keith.
--
___________________________________   _
  Keith O'Connell.                   -o)

* Re: Cut and paste
@ 2002-10-13 14:23 ` Roland Winkler
From: Roland Winkler @ 2002-10-13 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Keith O'Connell <kroc@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> I currently use emacs for all my editing, except email where I am
> using Sylpheed. The problem I have is that I want to cut text from
> an X based emacs window and drop it into an email I am preparing
> under Sylpheed. Unfortunately cut-and-paste does not work as the
> paste in Sylpheed does not see the kill-ring text.

I don't know Sylpheed. But I once had kind of a related problem with
an application that doesn't support X selections (instead it uses
old-fashioned X cut buffers). My work-around was to use emacs'
built-in function x-get-cut-buffer in order to copy text from that
other application into emacs. However, this refers only to copying
text from other applications into emacs. The other way round
(copying text from emacs to other applications) should work even
when the other application uses X cut buffers.

Roland