all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Buffers in Dired
@ 2003-05-31 17:46 Kaustuv
From: Kaustuv @ 2003-05-31 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,
   I am using dired to navigate through the files of my home. But the
   problem is the moment i move to a subdirectory dired creates a new
   buffer for it. So ultimetly it turns out i have just too many buffers
   open if i am locating a file buried deep my home directory sturcture.
   Is there some configuration variable which shall tell it not to create
   all these buffers but to work only from one buffer. In short all i want
   is JUST ONE buffer for all my navigation.
Regards,
K.

* Re: Buffers in Dired
@ 2003-05-31 19:48 ` Kai Großjohann
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-31 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kaustuv <kaustuv@stanford.edu> writes:

>    I am using dired to navigate through the files of my home. But the
>    problem is the moment i move to a subdirectory dired creates a new
>    buffer for it. So ultimetly it turns out i have just too many buffers
>    open if i am locating a file buried deep my home directory sturcture.
>    Is there some configuration variable which shall tell it not to create
>    all these buffers but to work only from one buffer. In short all i want
>    is JUST ONE buffer for all my navigation.

You can hit `a' instead of `f' or RET to open the subdir/file.

You can also try `i' on a directory.  Maybe you will like it.
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: Buffers in Dired
@ 2003-05-31 20:33 ` Johan Bockgård
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-05-31 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DiredMode

--
The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the
day they start making vacuum cleaners. -- Ernst Jan Plugge

* Re: Buffers in Dired
@ 2003-05-31 21:43 ` Ed Cavazos
From: Ed Cavazos @ 2003-05-31 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some comments regarding dired...

Dired is good for what it is, a "directory editor". But it doesn't
feel optimal as a filesystem browser. I still bust out an xterm and
use ls/cd etc. I considered a list of things that I would want in a
filesystem browser:

        * The "-l" style output should be optional
        * Hidden files should not be shown by default
        * Do not create new buffers for each dir visited
        * Navigation commands bound to single keys
        * Modeline is menu showing available operations on file

I implemented these ideas:

        http://www.theworld.com/~proteus/ec.el

After loading, do "M-x ec" to start.

 l   - Toggle -l style listing
 a   - Toggle hidden files
 n/p - Next/Previous line
 u   - Up directory
 ret - Enter directory
 g   - Jump to a directory

There are no facilities for "editing" directories, but that's just
because I was experimenting with implementing the features mentioned
above.

Ed

Kaustuv <kaustuv@stanford.edu> writes:

> Hi all,
>    I am using dired to navigate through the files of my home. But the
>    problem is the moment i move to a subdirectory dired creates a new
>    buffer for it. So ultimetly it turns out i have just too many buffers
>    open if i am locating a file buried deep my home directory sturcture.
>    Is there some configuration variable which shall tell it not to create
>    all these buffers but to work only from one buffer. In short all i want
>    is JUST ONE buffer for all my navigation.
> Regards,
> K.

* Re: Buffers in Dired
@ 2003-06-01  3:36   ` Galen Boyer
From: Galen Boyer @ 2003-06-01  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 31 May 2003, proteus@theworld.com wrote:

> Some comments regarding dired...
>
> Dired is good for what it is, a "directory editor". But it doesn't
> feel optimal as a filesystem browser. I still bust out an xterm and
> use ls/cd etc. I considered a list of things that I would want in a
> filesystem browser:
>
>         * The "-l" style output should be optional
>         * Hidden files should not be shown by default
>         * Do not create new buffers for each dir visited

I don't get it.  Dired has this and lots more.

Just use `i' on the subdirectorys.

How bout trying the following steps.

   Find any directory.
   On that directory line type C-u i R
   Now, do M-$
   Now, try M-$ again.

Does this seem useful?  I find it extremely useful.

--
Galen deForest Boyer

* Re: Buffers in Dired
@ 2003-06-01  7:19     ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-06-01  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Galen> I don't get it.  Dired has this and lots more.

    Galen> Just use `i' on the subdirectorys.
    Galen> How bout trying the following steps.

Is there a command to remove the directory you inserted with i ?

    Galen>    Find any directory.  On that directory line type C-u i R
    Galen> Now, do M-$ Now, try M-$ again.

    Galen> Does this seem useful?  I find it extremely useful.

Very useful indeed.  I wasn't aware of these commands... I should pay
closer attention to the mode help.

Thanks.

* Re: Buffers in Dired (Thanks)
@ 2003-06-01 16:19       ` Kaustuv
From: Kaustuv @ 2003-06-01 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks to all for the help. Your suggestions were really useful.
Regards
Kaustuv

Peter Lee <pete_lee@swbell.net> writes:

>     Galen> I don't get it.  Dired has this and lots more.
>
>     Galen> Just use `i' on the subdirectorys.
>     Galen> How bout trying the following steps.
>
> Is there a command to remove the directory you inserted with i ?
>

>     Galen>    Find any directory.  On that directory line type C-u i R
>     Galen> Now, do M-$ Now, try M-$ again.
>
>     Galen> Does this seem useful?  I find it extremely useful.
>
> Very useful indeed.  I wasn't aware of these commands... I should pay
> closer attention to the mode help.
>
> Thanks.

* Re: Buffers in Dired
@ 2003-06-01 17:53       ` Galen Boyer
From: Galen Boyer @ 2003-06-01 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 01 Jun 2003, pete_lee@swbell.net wrote:
>     Galen> I don't get it.  Dired has this and lots more.
>
>     Galen> Just use `i' on the subdirectorys.
>     Galen> How bout trying the following steps.
>
> Is there a command to remove the directory you inserted with i ?

Dig further into dired-do-kill-lines from the mode help.

--
Galen deForest Boyer

* Re: Buffers in Dired
@ 2003-06-01 18:05       ` Matthias Meulien
From: Matthias Meulien @ 2003-06-01 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Lee <pete_lee@swbell.net> wrote:

> Is there a command to remove the directory you inserted with i ?

Try `dired-do-kill-lines' which is binded on `k'.

,----[ C-h f dired-do-kill-lines RET ]
| dired-do-kill-lines is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `dired-aux'.
| (dired-do-kill-lines &optional ARG FMT)
|
| Kill all marked lines (not the files).
| With a prefix argument, kill that many lines starting with the current line.
| (A negative argument kills lines before the current line.)
| To kill an entire subdirectory, go to its directory header line
| and use this command with a prefix argument (the value does not matter).
`----

Bye.
--
Matthias

* Re: Buffers in Dired
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-06-02  5:28 ` Friedrich Dominicus
From: Friedrich Dominicus @ 2003-06-02  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kaustuv <kaustuv@stanford.edu> writes:

> Hi all,
>    I am using dired to navigate through the files of my home. But the
>    problem is the moment i move to a subdirectory dired creates a new
>    buffer for it. So ultimetly it turns out i have just too many buffers
>    open if i am locating a file buried deep my home directory sturcture.
>    Is there some configuration variable which shall tell it not to create
>    all these buffers but to work only from one buffer. In short all i want
>    is JUST ONE buffer for all my navigation.
> Regards,

Someone here posted this code some years? ago

;;;; dired improvements reuse existing buffer instead of generating every-time
;;;; a new one

(require 'dired)
(defun dired-follow-file ()
  "In dired, visit the file or directory on this line.
If a directory is on the current line, replace the current
dired buffer with one containing the contents of the directory.
Otherwise, invoke `dired-find-file' on the file."
  (interactive)
  (let ((filename (dired-get-filename)))
    ;; if the file is a directory, replace the buffer with the
    ;;  directories contents
    (if (file-directory-p filename)
        (find-alternate-file filename)
      ;; otherwise simply perform a normal `dired-find-file'
      (dired-find-file))))

with this hooks.

;;;; dired improvement
(add-hook
 'dired-mode-hook
 (lambda ()
   (local-set-key [return] 'dired-follow-file)
   (local-set-key [ e ] 'dired-follow-file)
   (local-set-key [ v ] 'dired-follow-file)
   (local-set-key [ f ] 'dired-follow-file)))

Use it to your liking.

Regards
Friedrich

* Re: Buffers in Dired
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-06-02  6:00 ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2003-06-02  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>    I am using dired to navigate through the files of my home. But the
>    problem is the moment i move to a subdirectory dired creates a new
>    buffer for it. So ultimetly it turns out i have just too many buffers
>    open if i am locating a file buried deep my home directory sturcture.
>    Is there some configuration variable which shall tell it not to create
>    all these buffers but to work only from one buffer. In short all i want
>    is JUST ONE buffer for all my navigation.

Consider the 'i' command in dired.

--
David Masterson                David DOT Masterson AT synopsys DOT com
Sr. R&D Engineer               Synopsys, Inc.