all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How do I get latest CVS and compile Emacs?
@ 2003-12-14  1:38 Martin Stone Davis
From: Martin Stone Davis @ 2003-12-14  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to get the latest CVS of emacs and compile it for Windows
XP. I read http://savannah.gnu.org/statement.html, but I don't know what
I'm supposed to do.

My (lack of) experience: I am an almost-total newbie to CVS.  I have
some experience using Eclipse to access and compile a CVS Java project.
   I have emacs 21.3.1 loaded and I also have MS Visual Studio 6.0 (not
loaded).

Please help point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
-Martin

* Re: How do I get latest CVS and compile Emacs?
       [not found] <mailman.38.1071369775.868.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-12-14  8:09 ` Harald Maier
       [not found]   ` <mailman.67.1071461194.868.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Harald Maier @ 2003-12-14  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Stone Davis <m0davis@pacbell.net> writes:

> I would like to get the latest CVS of emacs and compile it for Windows
> XP. I read http://savannah.gnu.org/statement.html, but I don't know
> what I'm supposed to do.
>
> My (lack of) experience: I am an almost-total newbie to CVS.  I have
> some experience using Eclipse to access and compile a CVS Java
> project.  I have emacs 21.3.1 loaded and I also have MS Visual Studio
> 6.0 (not loaded).

You need a cvs client program. I am using the cvs program from the
cygwin.com port but I think you should also be able with the eclipse
program. Important is the CVSROOT and that you are using the SSH. In
the following command the CVSROOT is

  anoncvs@cvs.gnu.org:/cvs-latest/emacs

,----
| $ export CVS_RSH=ssh
| $ cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@cvs.gnu.org:/cvs-latest/emacs co emacs
`----

The problem with cvs-latest is that the two file 'emacs/src/regex.h'
and 'emacs/src/regex.c' are missing. You can check out theese files
from the cvs-2003-09-16 cvs tree or you can do first a checkout of
cvs-2003-09-16 and afterwards cvs-latest. This should work, but I have
not tried it.

As a second step you should look into the file emacs/nt/INSTALL. This
file describes the following steps:

,----
| $ cd emacs/nt
| $ ./configure.bat --with-mscv
| $ nmake bootstrap
`----

I am not sure which CL version you are using. If you are using MSVC
7.0 (CL 13) then you should edit the file nmake.defs in emacs/nt and
remove the occurences of '-debugtype:both'.

Harald

* Re: How do I get latest CVS and compile Emacs?
@ 2003-12-15  3:02   ` Martin Stone Davis
       [not found]   ` <mailman.67.1071461194.868.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Martin Stone Davis @ 2003-12-15  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harald Maier wrote:

> Martin Stone Davis <m0davis@pacbell.net> writes:
>

>>I would like to get the latest CVS of emacs and compile it for Windows
>>XP. I read http://savannah.gnu.org/statement.html, but I don't know
>>what I'm supposed to do.
>>
>>My (lack of) experience: I am an almost-total newbie to CVS.  I have
>>some experience using Eclipse to access and compile a CVS Java
>>project.  I have emacs 21.3.1 loaded and I also have MS Visual Studio
>>6.0 (not loaded).
>

> You need a cvs client program. I am using the cvs program from the
> cygwin.com port but I think you should also be able with the eclipse
> program. Important is the CVSROOT and that you are using the SSH. In
> the following command the CVSROOT is
>
>   anoncvs@cvs.gnu.org:/cvs-latest/emacs
>
> ,----
> | $ export CVS_RSH=ssh
> | $ cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@cvs.gnu.org:/cvs-latest/emacs co emacs
> `----

I tried this and I get the following message:

cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot start server via rsh: No such file or
directory

I tried both a command-line version in windows (where I used set
CVS_RSH=ssh) and also I tried using WinCVS.  Both gave me the same result.

What am I doing wrong?

@ 2003-12-15  7:36     ` Harald Maier
       [not found]       ` <mailman.72.1071478644.868.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Harald Maier @ 2003-12-15  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Stone Davis <m0davis@pacbell.net> writes:

> Harald Maier wrote:
>
>> Martin Stone Davis <m0davis@pacbell.net> writes:
>>
>>>I would like to get the latest CVS of emacs and compile it for Windows
>>>XP. I read http://savannah.gnu.org/statement.html, but I don't know
>>>what I'm supposed to do.
>>>
>>>My (lack of) experience: I am an almost-total newbie to CVS.  I have
>>>some experience using Eclipse to access and compile a CVS Java
>>>project.  I have emacs 21.3.1 loaded and I also have MS Visual Studio
>>>6.0 (not loaded).
>> You need a cvs client program. I am using the cvs program from the
>> cygwin.com port but I think you should also be able with the eclipse
>> program. Important is the CVSROOT and that you are using the SSH. In
>> the following command the CVSROOT is
>> anoncvs@cvs.gnu.org:/cvs-latest/emacs
>> ,----
>> | $ export CVS_RSH=ssh
>> | $ cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@cvs.gnu.org:/cvs-latest/emacs co emacs
>> `----
>
> I tried this and I get the following message:
>
> cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot start server via rsh: No such file or
> directory
>
> I tried both a command-line version in windows (where I used set
> CVS_RSH=ssh) and also I tried using WinCVS.  Both gave me the same
> result.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Do you have a ssh program? You need a secure shell. My dark shot is
that you don't have one.

Harald

* Re: How do I get latest CVS and compile Emacs?
@ 2003-12-15  7:52       ` Martin Stone Davis
       [not found]       ` <mailman.72.1071478644.868.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Martin Stone Davis @ 2003-12-15  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harald Maier wrote:

> Martin Stone Davis <m0davis@pacbell.net> writes:
>

>>Harald Maier wrote:

>>>You need a cvs client program. I am using the cvs program from the
>>>cygwin.com port but I think you should also be able with the eclipse
>>>program. Important is the CVSROOT and that you are using the SSH. In
>>>the following command the CVSROOT is
>>>anoncvs@cvs.gnu.org:/cvs-latest/emacs
>>>,----
>>>`----
>>
>>I tried this and I get the following message:
>>
>>cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot start server via rsh: No such file or
>>directory
>>
>>I tried both a command-line version in windows (where I used set
>>CVS_RSH=ssh) and also I tried using WinCVS.  Both gave me the same
>>result.
>>
>>What am I doing wrong?
>

> Do you have a ssh program? You need a secure shell. My dark shot is
> that you don't have one.

True, at the time I didn't.  However, I got PuTtY and copied pscp to my
CVS directory.  I continued to get errors, but of a different sort:

Fatal: More than one remote source not supported
cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages
if any)

When I run pscp alone, I get this:

S:\CVS>pscp -r -v anoncvs@cvs.gnu.org:/cvs-latest/emacs S:\CVS\local
Looking up host "cvs.gnu.org"
Connecting to 199.232.41.2 port 22
Server version: SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.4p1 Debian 1:3.4p1-1.woody.3.1
We claim version: SSH-2.0-PuTTY-Release-0.53b
Using SSH protocol version 2
Doing Diffie-Hellman group exchange
Doing Diffie-Hellman key exchange
Host key fingerprint is:
ssh-rsa 1024 80:5a:b0:0c:ec:93:66:29:49:7e:04:2b:fd:ba:2c:d5
Using username "anoncvs".
Access granted
Opened channel for session
Primary command failed; attempting fallback
Started a shell/command
Connected to subversions.gnu.org

Server sent command exit status 0

Any clue?

@ 2003-12-15  8:13         ` Harald Maier
       [not found]           ` <mailman.75.1071480343.868.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Harald Maier @ 2003-12-15  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Stone Davis <m0davis@pacbell.net> writes:

> When I run pscp alone, I get this:
>
> S:\CVS>pscp -r -v anoncvs@cvs.gnu.org:/cvs-latest/emacs S:\CVS\local
> Looking up host "cvs.gnu.org"
> Connecting to 199.232.41.2 port 22
> Server version: SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.4p1 Debian 1:3.4p1-1.woody.3.1
> We claim version: SSH-2.0-PuTTY-Release-0.53b
> Using SSH protocol version 2
> Doing Diffie-Hellman group exchange
> Doing Diffie-Hellman key exchange
> Host key fingerprint is:
> ssh-rsa 1024 80:5a:b0:0c:ec:93:66:29:49:7e:04:2b:fd:ba:2c:d5
> Using username "anoncvs".
> Access granted

That looks good now I think now you should set the CVS_RSH variable to
the putty ssh program. Unfortunately, I don't know putty.

Harald

* Re: How do I get latest CVS and compile Emacs?
@ 2003-12-15  8:20           ` Martin Stone Davis
       [not found]           ` <mailman.75.1071480343.868.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Martin Stone Davis @ 2003-12-15  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harald Maier wrote:

> Martin Stone Davis <m0davis@pacbell.net> writes:
>

>>When I run pscp alone, I get this:
>>
>>S:\CVS>pscp -r -v anoncvs@cvs.gnu.org:/cvs-latest/emacs S:\CVS\local
>>Looking up host "cvs.gnu.org"
>>Connecting to 199.232.41.2 port 22
>>Server version: SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.4p1 Debian 1:3.4p1-1.woody.3.1
>>We claim version: SSH-2.0-PuTTY-Release-0.53b
>>Using SSH protocol version 2
>>Doing Diffie-Hellman group exchange
>>Doing Diffie-Hellman key exchange
>>Host key fingerprint is:
>>ssh-rsa 1024 80:5a:b0:0c:ec:93:66:29:49:7e:04:2b:fd:ba:2c:d5
>>Using username "anoncvs".
>>Access granted
>

> That looks good

Why do you say it looks good?  After that, it says "Primary command
failed; attempting fallback".

> now I think now you should set the CVS_RSH variable to
> the putty ssh program.

I did.  Before running cvs -z3 ... etc., I had typed:

S:\CVS> SET CVS_RSH=pscp

 >Unfortunately, I don't know putty.
D'oh!

@ 2003-12-15  8:52             ` Harald Maier
From: Harald Maier @ 2003-12-15  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Stone Davis <m0davis@pacbell.net> writes:

> Harald Maier wrote:
>
>> Martin Stone Davis <m0davis@pacbell.net> writes:
>>
>>>When I run pscp alone, I get this:
>>>
>>>S:\CVS>pscp -r -v anoncvs@cvs.gnu.org:/cvs-latest/emacs S:\CVS\local
>>>Looking up host "cvs.gnu.org"
>>>Connecting to 199.232.41.2 port 22
>>>Server version: SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.4p1 Debian 1:3.4p1-1.woody.3.1
>>>We claim version: SSH-2.0-PuTTY-Release-0.53b
>>>Using SSH protocol version 2
>>>Doing Diffie-Hellman group exchange
>>>Doing Diffie-Hellman key exchange
>>>Host key fingerprint is:
>>>ssh-rsa 1024 80:5a:b0:0c:ec:93:66:29:49:7e:04:2b:fd:ba:2c:d5
>>>Using username "anoncvs".
>>>Access granted
>> That looks good
>
> Why do you say it looks good?  After that, it says "Primary command
> failed; attempting fallback".

Because you can access the server. But you are only able to get the
sources with the cvs program. I think you don't have access to get them
with the pscp program.

>> now I think now you should set the CVS_RSH variable to
>> the putty ssh program.
>
> I did.  Before running cvs -z3 ... etc., I had typed:
>
> S:\CVS> SET CVS_RSH=pscp

This is not the ssh program. This is the secure copy program. Maybe
you will find a pssh.exe program.

I would propose to you that you are visit the http://cygwin.com
address and that you install the cygwin environment. It's really easy
to install and afterwards you will have a very good environment.

Harald

* Re: How do I get latest CVS and compile Emacs?
@ 2003-12-15 13:53               ` Martin Stone Davis
From: Martin Stone Davis @ 2003-12-15 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harald Maier wrote:
> Martin Stone Davis <m0davis@pacbell.net> writes:
>

>>Harald Maier wrote:

>>>That looks good
>>
>>Why do you say it looks good?  After that, it says "Primary command
>>failed; attempting fallback".
>>

> Because you can access the server. But you are only able to get the
> sources with the cvs program. I think you don't have access to get them
> with the pscp program.
>

>>>now I think now you should set the CVS_RSH variable to
>>>the putty ssh program.
>>
>>I did.  Before running cvs -z3 ... etc., I had typed:
>>
>>S:\CVS> SET CVS_RSH=pscp
>

> This is not the ssh program. This is the secure copy program. Maybe
> you will find a pssh.exe program.
>
> I would propose to you that you are visit the http://cygwin.com
> address and that you install the cygwin environment. It's really easy
> to install and afterwards you will have a very good environment.

Oh my god it works!  I had tried cygwin before, but never found the SSH
package.  This time, I did the installation more carefully, and managed
to get the SSH to install.

From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-12-15 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Harald Maier <harald@maierh.de>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:52:48 +0100
> >
> > S:\CVS> SET CVS_RSH=pscp
>
> This is not the ssh program. This is the secure copy program. Maybe
> you will find a pssh.exe program.

It's called plink.exe, and the instructions to set up plink as
CVS_RSH are in the PuTTY's docs.  I use that setup every day; works
like a charm for me.

@ 2003-12-15 16:03 ` Bruce Ingalls
From: Bruce Ingalls @ 2003-12-15 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Stone Davis wrote:
> I would like to get the latest CVS of emacs and compile it for Windows
> XP. I read http://savannah.gnu.org/statement.html, but I don't know what
> I'm supposed to do.
>
> My (lack of) experience: I am an almost-total newbie to CVS.

You may find instructions at http://www.crasseux.com/
Someone could do the community a favor, by compiling the directions in
this thread, licensing it as FDL or http://www.creativecommons.org/ and
send it to the webmaster at Crasseux, to complete his work.

Note that http://www.wincvs.org/ has a cvs solution for those who fear
the /command/ /line/ 8)

* Re: How do I get latest CVS and compile Emacs?
@ 2003-12-15 21:09   ` Martin Stemplinger
From: Martin Stemplinger @ 2003-12-15 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon Dez 15 2003 at 17:03, Bruce Ingalls <bingalls@fit-zones.NO-SPAM.com> wrote:

> Someone could do the community a favor, by compiling the directions in this thread,
> licensing it as FDL or http://www.creativecommons.org/ and send it to the webmaster at
> Crasseux, to complete his work.

I added a few hints to the Emacs Wiki pages.
--
Remove NOSPAM to reply by mail