all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Auto-fill option
@ 2004-08-17 15:28 Michael Satterwhite
From: Michael Satterwhite @ 2004-08-17 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've searched the web and found several people asking this, but no answers.

Auto-fill mode is incredibly annoying to me. Unfortunately, I can't find any
way to make it default to off. I've changed the option and used the "Save
Options" function, but it still comes up as auto-fill on.

I've added the following lines to my .emacs (and to .xemacs/init.el)

        (setq default-major-mode 'text-mode)
        (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-off-auto-fill)

and it still comes up with auto-fill on. There has got to be some
way to get this to default to off.

Would someone be so kind as to let me in on the secret?

tia
---Michael

* Re: Auto-fill option
@ 2004-08-17 17:00 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-08-17 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Satterwhite <satterwh.X$NO$S$PAM@weblore.com> writes:

> I've searched the web and found several people asking this, but no answers.
>
> Auto-fill mode is incredibly annoying to me. Unfortunately, I can't find any
> way to make it default to off.

The default *is* off.  There must be something in one of your init
files which turns it on -- try:

   emacs -q

and

   emacs -q --no-site-file

to bypass your init files.

--
Jesper Harder                                <http://purl.org/harder/>

* Re: Auto-fill option
@ 2004-08-17 20:43   ` Michael Satterwhite
From: Michael Satterwhite @ 2004-08-17 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder wrote:

> Michael Satterwhite <satterwh.X$NO$S$PAM@weblore.com> writes:
>
>> I've searched the web and found several people asking this, but no
>> answers.
>>
>> Auto-fill mode is incredibly annoying to me. Unfortunately, I can't find
>> any way to make it default to off.
>
> The default *is* off.  There must be something in one of your init
> files which turns it on -- try:
>
>    emacs -q
>
> and
>
>    emacs -q --no-site-file
>
> to bypass your init files.

emacs -q starts it without the auto-fill. Question: I know of .emacs and
init.el. What other initialization files are there?

tia
---Michael

* Re: Auto-fill option
@ 2004-08-17 21:19     ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-08-17 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Satterwhite <satterwh.X$NO$S$PAM@weblore.com> writes:

> emacs -q starts it without the auto-fill.

This means that the problem is in your ~/.emacs file or in default.el.

> Question: I know of .emacs and init.el.

init.el isn't used by Emacs, AFAIK.

> What other initialization files are there?

There's also site-start.el and default.el,
cf. <info://emacs/Init+File>.

--
Jesper Harder                                <http://purl.org/harder/>