all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* freetype rgba font rendering
@ 2016-12-09 14:27 Yuri D'Elia
From: Yuri D'Elia @ 2016-12-09 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'm on emacs 25.1.1 (emacs25-lucid on debian unstable) and noticed that
while all font rendering settings seems to correctly come from
fontconfig, the "rgba" setting (subpixel hinting) doesn't seem to have
any effect. It defaults to disabled.

The Xft.rgba X resource *does* have effect though.

I noticed just yesterday, as I normally had subpixel hinting disabled
everywhere (matching the default), and didn't have to set any X
resources for Xft so far. I tested some other settings, and Xft.rgba
seems to be the only exception.

Can somebody confirm this without having to inspect the source?

* Re: freetype rgba font rendering
@ 2016-12-09 14:46 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-12-09 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri D'Elia; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Yuri D'Elia <wavexx@thregr.org>
> Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2016 15:27:35 +0100
>
> I'm on emacs 25.1.1 (emacs25-lucid on debian unstable) and noticed that
> while all font rendering settings seems to correctly come from
> fontconfig, the "rgba" setting (subpixel hinting) doesn't seem to have
> any effect. It defaults to disabled.
>
> The Xft.rgba X resource *does* have effect though.

Is this a new problem with Emacs 25.1, or did it happen with previous
versions as well?

Thanks.

* Re: freetype rgba font rendering
@ 2016-12-09 14:55   ` Yuri D'Elia
From: Yuri D'Elia @ 2016-12-09 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Fri, Dec 09 2016, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> The Xft.rgba X resource *does* have effect though.
>
> Is this a new problem with Emacs 25.1, or did it happen with previous
> versions as well?

I tested emacs 24.5.1, and it behaves the same way, so seems to be an
old quirk.

* Re: freetype rgba font rendering
@ 2016-12-09 14:59     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-12-09 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri D'Elia; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Yuri D'Elia <wavexx@thregr.org>
> Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2016 15:55:25 +0100
>
> On Fri, Dec 09 2016, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> The Xft.rgba X resource *does* have effect though.
> >
> > Is this a new problem with Emacs 25.1, or did it happen with previous
> > versions as well?
>
> I tested emacs 24.5.1, and it behaves the same way, so seems to be an
> old quirk.

Thanks.  I guess it probably means Emacs never supported this.

* Re: freetype rgba font rendering
@ 2016-12-09 15:04       ` Yuri D'Elia
From: Yuri D'Elia @ 2016-12-09 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> > Is this a new problem with Emacs 25.1, or did it happen with previous
>> > versions as well?
>>
>> I tested emacs 24.5.1, and it behaves the same way, so seems to be an
>> old quirk.
>
> Thanks.  I guess it probably means Emacs never supported this.

It just feels odd, as the other properties behave as expected.
Should I file a bug?

* Re: freetype rgba font rendering
@ 2016-12-09 15:34         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-12-09 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri D'Elia; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Yuri D'Elia <wavexx@thregr.org>
> Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2016 16:04:32 +0100
>
> Should I file a bug?

Yes, please do.

* Re: freetype rgba font rendering
@ 2016-12-11 15:17   ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2016-12-11 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Yuri D'Elia, emacs-devel

EZ> Is this a new problem with Emacs 25.1, or did it happen with previous
EZ> versions as well?

It goes all the way back to the merge of the xft branch.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6