all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* forward-word, et alia
@ 2017-08-14 19:28 James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2017-08-14 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At some point in the last year or so, the ascii apostrophe stopped being
a word delimeter and became a word constituent.  Unlike everywhere else.

I haven't found a note about it in new or in git history, and haven't
been able to remind myself where in the src to look for the change, so
that I can fix it.

Can anyone remind me where I should look?

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6

* Re: forward-word, et alia
@ 2017-08-14 19:59 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2017-08-14 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: forward-word, et alia
@ 2017-08-15 15:52   ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2017-08-15 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

T> I think you are looking for `modify-syntax-entry'. See, e.g. [1] for
T> some examples.

T> [1] https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsSyntaxTable

Thanks.  And that confirms the problem.  C-h s in some buffers includes
this:

,----
| The parent syntax table is:
| "		. 	which means: punctuation
| '		w p	which means: word,
| 	  is a prefix character for ‘backward-prefix-chars’
| \		. 	which means: punctuation
`----

Now to find where that is done....

-JimC