all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* calc: Converting HMS to decimal
@ 2003-03-16 16:49 Torsten Bronger
From: Torsten Bronger @ 2003-03-16 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Halloechen!

I try to use calc 2.02f for HMS (hour--minute--second) values.  I
want to to convert them to decimal format.  So far, I've typed S-I-S
(sine--inverse sine) which works, but isn't there a more
straightforward solution?

In particular, is there a possibility for this conversion in quick
calc mode (M-# q)?

Tschoe,
Torsten.

* Re: calc: Converting HMS to decimal
@ 2003-03-17  7:02 ` Stefan Reichör
From: Stefan Reichör @ 2003-03-17  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, Torsten Bronger stated:

>  Halloechen!
>
>  I try to use calc 2.02f for HMS (hour--minute--second) values. I
>  want to to convert them to decimal format. So far, I've typed S-I-S
>  (sine--inverse sine) which works, but isn't there a more
>  straightforward solution?
>
>  In particular, is there a possibility for this conversion in quick
>  calc mode (M-# q)?
>
>  Tschoe,
>  Torsten.

Hi Torsten,
I some time ago I played a bit with calc - and found out, how I
can call the calc functions from elisp:

(progn
  (calc-eval "3x=9y" 'push)
  (calc-solve-for "x")
  (calc-eval 1 'top)) ; => x = 3 y
(progn
  (calc-eval "3x^2+x+1=9" 'push)
  (calc-poly-roots "x")
  (calc-eval 1 'top)) ; => [1.47480963363, -1.80814296697]

Perhaps you can do something similar for your HMS problem

Stefan.

* Re: calc: Converting HMS to decimal
@ 2003-03-25 12:18 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-03-25 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Torsten Bronger <bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> I try to use calc 2.02f for HMS (hour--minute--second) values.  I
> want to to convert them to decimal format.  So far, I've typed S-I-S
> (sine--inverse sine) which works, but isn't there a more
> straightforward solution?

3 h 12 m 20 s
c d

M-# q deg(3@12'20") RET