all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Highlight a word
@ 2003-08-31  9:25 Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2003-08-31  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Moin,

I've write a function which made some tests on each word in a
buffer or region and returns t or nil. Now I want to highlight the
words where the function returns t.

There is no highlight-region or highlight-word function in
emacs. What is the best way to do somthing like that?

Many thanks
Matthias

--
Matthias Teege -- http://www.mteege.de
make world not war

* Re: Highlight a word
@ 2003-09-01 12:22 ` Felix Natter
From: Felix Natter @ 2003-09-01 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthias Teege <matthias@mteege.de> writes:

> Moin,
>
> I've write a function which made some tests on each word in a
> buffer or region and returns t or nil. Now I want to highlight the
> words where the function returns t.
>
> There is no highlight-region or highlight-word function in
> emacs. What is the best way to do somthing like that?

you can use overlays in GNU Emacs and extents in XEmacs:

i.e. GNU Emacs 20 and above:
(setq ol (make-overlay 1 25))
(overlay-put ol 'face font-lock-keyword-face)
(delete-overlay ol)

example for XEmacs (can't test this):
(setq extent (make-extent nil nil))
(set-extent-face extent po-highlight-face)
(set-extent-endpoints extent 1 25 (current-buffer))

you can find sample code for overlays+extents in po-mode.el
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gettext/gettext-0.12.1.tar.gz
(in gettext-0.12.1/gettext-tools/misc/po-mode.el)

--
Felix Natter