all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gnus-parameters and (visible . t) problem
@ 2005-06-22 21:59 Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2005-06-22 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am having a problem with gnus-parameters and permanently visible
groups: If I put the following into gnus-parameters, it doesn't do
anything.
,----
|                         (".*:Science/Konferenzen$"
|                          (visible . t))
`----
Other group-parameter settings work nicely.
If, however, I put it into the Group parameters directly (G P in *Group*)
,----
| ((uidvalidity . "1047986824")
|  (visible . t))
`----
it works like a charm.

GNU Emacs 22.0.50.15 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.4.14) of 2005-06-07
No Gnus v0.4

Does anybody else see this?

Greetings,
Jochen
        (Part 3 you find in my messages before fall 2003.)

* Re: gnus-parameters and (visible . t) problem
       [not found] <mailman.862.1119477929.2857.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-06-23  2:26 ` Johan Bockgård
       [not found]   ` <yoijaclhvmdy.fsf-PkldqKSsTwjY3LeWNvTtSq/VBoQUuTN+@public.gmane.org>
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2005-06-23  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

It's documented.

"Group parameters can be set via the `gnus-parameters' variable too.
But some variables, such as `visible', have no effect."

(info "(gnus)Group Parameters")

--
Johan Bockgård

@ 2005-06-23  7:36     ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2005-06-23  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

I realized I send my message to Emacs-help. I now redirect it to Gnus'
ding list, asking for enhancements of Gnus. M-F'up set to ding-smP1P7uqpqfhvxM+mQhndA@public.gmane.org

bojohan+news-dtrdnu4G8ymci/EUP2OQSw@public.gmane.org (Johan Bockgård) writes:

> "Group parameters can be set via the `gnus-parameters' variable too.
> But some variables, such as `visible', have no effect."

Oops. Thank you for pointing that out. I apparently never read that
far, sorry to bother.

However, why is that and how could Gnus be improved to honor these
settings in gnus-parameters as well?