all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* HTML Editing in Emacs
@ 2002-11-14  0:08 Sam Peterson
From: Sam Peterson @ 2002-11-14  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi folks,

I've using html-helper-mode with Emacs to create a few web pages of
mine.  I'm beginning to get the hang of it and I'm really starting to
like it, been writing macros, etc.  However, there's one thing I
really need that I'm not sure how to provide.

If I have several web pages that cross reference each other, or an
image referenced from several web pages, and I'd like to rename or
move one of these files, I need to manually update all references to
it.  I need a facility that could move and rename files and update all
references for me.

Bloated web site tools such as Dreamweaver and Frontpage provide this.
I hate these tools, but this particular mechanism is very nice.  Is
there any such "site" tools for Emacs, or if not for Emacs, is there a
nice minimalistic external program that could provide this facility,
and thereby it would be an easy task of just writing a few elisp
functions to interface with it?
--
Sam Peterson
skpeterson@ucdavis.edu

* Re: HTML Editing in Emacs
@ 2002-11-14  3:04 ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2002-11-14  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sam Peterson <skpeterson@ucdavis.edu> writes:

>Hi folks,
>
>I've using html-helper-mode with Emacs to create a few web pages of
>mine.  I'm beginning to get the hang of it and I'm really starting to
>like it, been writing macros, etc.  However, there's one thing I
>really need that I'm not sure how to provide.
>
>If I have several web pages that cross reference each other, or an
>image referenced from several web pages, and I'd like to rename or
>move one of these files, I need to manually update all references to
>it.  I need a facility that could move and rename files and update all
>references for me.
>
>Bloated web site tools such as Dreamweaver and Frontpage provide this.
>I hate these tools, but this particular mechanism is very nice.  Is
>there any such "site" tools for Emacs, or if not for Emacs, is there a
>nice minimalistic external program that could provide this facility,
>and thereby it would be an easy task of just writing a few elisp
>functions to interface with it?

The quickest and dirtiest way, if all the html files are in the same
directory, is to mark the html files in dired, and then hit Q, which
runs a query-replace on all the marked files.
--
Mike Slass

* Re: HTML Editing in Emacs
@ 2002-11-14  7:45   ` Sam Peterson
From: Sam Peterson @ 2002-11-14  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Slass <miknrene@drizzle.com> writes:

> Sam Peterson <skpeterson@ucdavis.edu> writes:
>
> >Hi folks,
> >
> >I've using html-helper-mode with Emacs to create a few web pages of
> >mine.  I'm beginning to get the hang of it and I'm really starting
> >to like it, been writing macros, etc.  However, there's one thing I
> >really need that I'm not sure how to provide.
> >
> >If I have several web pages that cross reference each other, or an
> >image referenced from several web pages, and I'd like to rename or
> >move one of these files, I need to manually update all references
> >to it.  I need a facility that could move and rename files and
> >update all references for me.
> >
> >Bloated web site tools such as Dreamweaver and Frontpage provide
> >this.  I hate these tools, but this particular mechanism is very
> >nice.  Is there any such "site" tools for Emacs, or if not for
> >Emacs, is there a nice minimalistic external program that could
> >provide this facility, and thereby it would be an easy task of just
> >writing a few elisp functions to interface with it?
>

> The quickest and dirtiest way, if all the html files are in the same
> directory, is to mark the html files in dired, and then hit Q, which
> runs a query-replace on all the marked files.

Hmm, I see great potential there.  That was a little more simple than
I'd hoped for but I imagine it gets the job done.  I was kind of
hoping for something that would map out my site and give me a list of
references that I could change if I wanted to.  Any recommendations?

--
Sam Peterson
skpeterson@ucdavis.edu

* Re: HTML Editing in Emacs
@ 2002-11-14 13:46     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-11-14 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sam Peterson <skpeterson@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> Hmm, I see great potential there.  That was a little more simple than
> I'd hoped for but I imagine it gets the job done.  I was kind of
> hoping for something that would map out my site and give me a list of
> references that I could change if I wanted to.  Any recommendations?

I can't cite chapter and verse but I suspect there are perl scripts
on cpan that do what you want or at least very close.  It would take
some leg work on cpan search engine to find them.

* Re: HTML Editing in Emacs
@ 2002-11-14 18:39     ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2002-11-14 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sam Peterson <skpeterson@ucdavis.edu> writes:

>Hmm, I see great potential there.  That was a little more simple than
>I'd hoped for but I imagine it gets the job done.  I was kind of
>hoping for something that would map out my site and give me a list of
>references that I could change if I wanted to.  Any recommendations?

There must be a perl package that does this.  Check on cpan, or put on
your asbestos suit, and ask with maximum humility and self-deprecation
(without using the word "newbie" or "novice", which will get you
filtered by anyone who knows anything) on comp.lang.perl.misc.

--
Mike Slass

* Re: HTML Editing in Emacs
@ 2002-11-14 21:24       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-11-14 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Slass <miknrene@drizzle.com> writes:

> Sam Peterson <skpeterson@ucdavis.edu> writes:
>

>>Hmm, I see great potential there.  That was a little more simple than
>>I'd hoped for but I imagine it gets the job done.  I was kind of
>>hoping for something that would map out my site and give me a list of
>>references that I could change if I wanted to.  Any recommendations?
>>

> There must be a perl package that does this.  Check on cpan, or put on
> your asbestos suit, and ask with maximum humility and self-deprecation
> (without using the word "newbie" or "novice", which will get you
> filtered by anyone who knows anything) on comp.lang.perl.misc.

Yike, Hes in for rough sledding there.  I recommend the perl novice
group.  Its gatewayed on news.gmane.org as comp.lang.perl.beginners.

Almost guaranteed to get a good answer in short order.

You'll probably find lots of cool stuff on gmane.  You can post to the
gatewayed groups.  Larsi and others have done lots of work setting
up gmane.

* gmane (was: HTML Editing in Emacs)
@ 2002-11-15 10:03         ` Marc Girod
From: Marc Girod @ 2002-11-15 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

HP> I recommend the perl novice group. Its gatewayed on news.gmane.org
HP> as comp.lang.perl.beginners.

i.e. as gmane.comp.lang.perl.beginners now that I went to look.

HP> You'll probably find lots of cool stuff on gmane.  You can post to the
HP> gatewayed groups.  Larsi and others have done lots of work setting
HP> up gmane.

This info came as a surprise. I found now http://gmane.org and shall
have a deeper look at it.

Anything else you would suggest to drive my first steps?

--
Marc Girod        P.O. Box 323        Voice:  +358-71 80 25581
Nokia NBI         00045 NOKIA Group   Mobile: +358-50 38 78415