all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Anyone knows how to do dvd/book collection management in Emacs?
@ 2007-03-31 10:11 CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2007-03-31 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I wanna manage my dvd collection and books in Emacs. Just I got idea how
to do this. The first thing coming to my mind is ebib
(http://ebib.sf.net). Just it can only operate on a pre-created bib
file. I need to grab an existed bib file to use with ebib.

Please shed light on me which app to use or where to grab bib file for
dvd (movie) and book collections.

TIA,

CHENG Gao

* Re: Anyone knows how to do dvd/book collection management in Emacs?
@ 2007-03-31 15:01 ` Xavier Maillard
       [not found] ` <mailman.1634.1175365578.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-03-31 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CHENG Gao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   Please shed light on me which app to use or where to grab bib file for
   dvd (movie) and book collections.

I do not understand. Is that really related to GNU Emacs ?

Xavier

* Re: Anyone knows how to do dvd/book collection management in Emacs?
@ 2007-03-31 18:09 ` Eric Hanchrow
       [not found] ` <mailman.1634.1175365578.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2007-03-31 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

This is heresy, but: I'd store that information in plain text files.
No need to use something fancy.
--
This movie doesn't scrape the bottom of the barrel.  This movie isn't
the bottom of the barrel.  This movie isn't below the bottom of the

@ 2007-04-01  1:46   ` thorne
From: thorne @ 2007-04-01  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eric Hanchrow <offby1@blarg.net> writes:

> This is heresy, but: I'd store that information in plain text files.
> No need to use something fancy.

I'm interested to know about Emacs solutions to this as well.  There
is something called bbdb--the Big Brother Database, but i know exactly
zero about that and i think maybe it's just used to contacts
management.  Anyone have any knowledge about this?

--
þ    theron tlåx    þ
(compose-mail (concat "thorne@" (rot13 "gvzoeny") ".net"))

* Re: Anyone knows how to do dvd/book collection management in Emacs?
       [not found] <mailman.1628.1175336066.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-04-01  2:04 ` Chris McMahan
From: Chris McMahan @ 2007-04-01  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

You might want to take a look at the Emacs Database Package edb.

It's not been maintained for some time, but it might prove helpful
You can find it at
http://pag.csail.mit.edu/~mernst/software/edb/

Someone else suggested a plain text file. I can see the value in this,
combined especially with some type of folding program. I've recently
become enthusiastic about a package called allout, which I'm using for
storying lists of all sorts. I'm even combining it with the
jka-compr-ccrypt package to store encrypted files with my passwords in
it.

You can find out about allout at
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/AllOut

- Chris

--
     (.   .)
  =ooO=(_)=Ooo=====================================

* Re: Anyone knows how to do dvd/book collection management in Emacs?
@ 2007-04-01  4:49   ` Tim X
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1637.1175405014.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tim X @ 2007-04-01  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Chris McMahan <first_initiallastname@one.dot.net> writes:

> You might want to take a look at the Emacs Database Package edb.
>
> It's not been maintained for some time, but it might prove helpful
> You can find it at
> http://pag.csail.mit.edu/~mernst/software/edb/
>
> Someone else suggested a plain text file. I can see the value in this,
> combined especially with some type of folding program. I've recently
> become enthusiastic about a package called allout, which I'm using for
> storying lists of all sorts. I'm even combining it with the
> jka-compr-ccrypt package to store encrypted files with my passwords in
> it.
>
> You can find out about allout at
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/AllOut
>
> - Chris
>
> CHENG Gao <chenggao@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I wanna manage my dvd collection and books in Emacs. Just I got idea how
>> to do this. The first thing coming to my mind is ebib
>> (http://ebib.sf.net). Just it can only operate on a pre-created bib
>> file. I need to grab an existed bib file to use with ebib.
>>
>> Please shed light on me which app to use or where to grab bib file for
>> dvd (movie) and book collections.
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> CHENG Gao

BBDB is a contacts database that integrates well with various mail and news
reading programs for Emacs. Its not what you want for a DVD collection
management app.

As mentionned, there is edb (the emacs database) which is fairly easy to use.
While it may not be actively maintained, I do rmember seeing some posts from
someone who was doing some work on it and I think the Debian version of this
package is built from that work.

You also have emacs forms, which would allow you to create a quite powerful
interface for managing your data. I think it can use either plain files or a
berkley style db (but you need to check that).

I do seem to remember someone posting a mode to do this to the emacs sources
group. Maybe try and find an archive of that group and have a look. Likewise,
check out the elisp packages listed on the emacs wiki at www.emacswiki.org.

Emacs 22 comes with SES (Simple Emacs Spreadsheet), which you could probably
use as well. There is a version of SES you can get for emacs 21 (again, see the
emacs wiki)=================================================

The other alternative is to use something like bibtex and the emacs bibtex mode
to manage your DVD info.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Anyone knows how to do dvd/book collection management in Emacs?
@ 2007-04-01  5:19   ` CHENG Gao
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1637.1175405014.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: CHENG Gao @ 2007-04-01  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thank you all for your replies.

I use BBDB for contact management. I dont think it's fit for what I want
for dvd collections.

I'll take a look at edb.

In fact I wanna use some kind of text file. Just I need things more than
bare text file. Folding, searching, and template insertion. Something
like Org mode. Just Org mode is not naturally fit for my purpose. So I
ask for if there is proving solution.

I explain something more about need of template. Say I need record
movie name, release year, director, actors etc. I wanna some key binding
to insert these automagically, and fill the values then.

The coolest thing I can imagine is Emacs solution with sqlite3 as
backend. If someone can write a sqlite3 front end in Emacs, it'll bring
unfathomable potential. Say for example, BBDB can use it to store data
in a sqlite3 db.

* Re: Anyone knows how to do dvd/book collection management in Emacs?
@ 2007-04-01  5:42     ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2007-04-01  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

*On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 14:49:14 +1000
* Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> climbed out of the dark hell and cried out:

> The other alternative is to use something like bibtex and the emacs bibtex mode
> to manage your DVD info.

Thanks. Yes I think it's a solution. Just I dont know how to write a
bibtex source to use with ebib. Seems it's the solution mostly meeting
my need. So I have to learn bibtex first.

@ 2007-04-01  9:25     ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2007-04-01  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

() CHENG Gao <chenggao@gmail.com>
() Sun, 01 Apr 2007 13:19:53 +0800

   I'll take a look at edb.

EDB is back online:

 http://www.gnuvola.org/software/edb/

hope to squeeze out another release in the next couple
months, if All Goes Well...

thi

* Re: Anyone knows how to do dvd/book collection management in Emacs?
@ 2007-04-01 10:23     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-04-01 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CHENG Gao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

CHENG Gao wrote:

> The coolest thing I can imagine is Emacs solution with sqlite3 as
> backend. If someone can write a sqlite3 front end in Emacs, it'll bring
> unfathomable potential. Say for example, BBDB can use it to store data
> in a sqlite3 db.

I never heard of it before, but there seems to be a command line program
to interface sqlite3.

* Re: Anyone knows how to do dvd/book collection management in Emacs?
@ 2007-04-01 18:30     ` Charles philip Chan
From: Charles philip Chan @ 2007-04-01 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 31 Mar 2007, thinly-disguised@spam-sucks.foo wrote:

> There is something called bbdb--the Big Brother Database, but i know
> exactly zero about that and i think maybe it's just used to contacts
> management.

Yes, bbdb is for contacts.

> Anyone have any knowledge about this?

How about bibl-mode?

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/BiblMode

Charles

--
printk ("Barf\n");
        linux-2.6.6/arch/v850/kernel/module.c

@ 2007-04-02 13:51 ` Joost Kremers
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1674.1175528725.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2007-04-02 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

CHENG Gao wrote:
> I wanna manage my dvd collection and books in Emacs. Just I got idea how
> to do this. The first thing coming to my mind is ebib
> (http://ebib.sf.net). Just it can only operate on a pre-created bib
> file. I need to grab an existed bib file to use with ebib.

erm, how do you mean that? i'm creating new bib files with ebib all the
time...

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: Anyone knows how to do dvd/book collection management in Emacs?
@ 2007-04-02 15:40   ` CHENG Gao
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1674.1175528725.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: CHENG Gao @ 2007-04-02 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

*On 2 Apr 2007 13:51:09 GMT
* Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> climbed out of the dark hell and cried out:

> CHENG Gao wrote:
>> I wanna manage my dvd collection and books in Emacs. Just I got idea how
>> to do this. The first thing coming to my mind is ebib
>> (http://ebib.sf.net). Just it can only operate on a pre-created bib
>> file. I need to grab an existed bib file to use with ebib.
>
> erm, how do you mean that? i'm creating new bib files with ebib all the
> time...

Thanks for your info. I browsed ebib manual and thought it can only
 operate on a pre-created bib file. Glad to know it can create the file.

@ 2007-04-02 16:15     ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2007-04-02 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

CHENG Gao wrote:
> Thanks for your info. I browsed ebib manual and thought it can only
>  operate on a pre-created bib file. Glad to know it can create the file.

mmm... i admit, it's burried a bit in the manual. the very last paragraph
in section 2.1 "Getting Started" mentions it.

anyway, ebib is meant to be used with bibtex files, and bibtex is meant to
be used with latex, not as a stand-alone bibliography database engine. so
if you just want to create a database of your books and dvds, and have no
intention of using it with latex, ebib is probably not the best tool for
the job.

--

@ 2007-04-02 16:49       ` CHENG Gao
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1679.1175532801.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: CHENG Gao @ 2007-04-02 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

*On 2 Apr 2007 16:15:37 GMT
* Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> climbed out of the dark hell and cried out:

> CHENG Gao wrote:
>> Thanks for your info. I browsed ebib manual and thought it can only
>>  operate on a pre-created bib file. Glad to know it can create the file.
>
> mmm... i admit, it's burried a bit in the manual. the very last paragraph
> in section 2.1 "Getting Started" mentions it.
>
> anyway, ebib is meant to be used with bibtex files, and bibtex is meant to
> be used with latex, not as a stand-alone bibliography database engine. so
> if you just want to create a database of your books and dvds, and have no
> intention of using it with latex, ebib is probably not the best tool for
> the job.

Thanks Joost. After reading manual more carefully I know how to create
new file now.

And I have a problem now.
I dont like Customize, so instead I add my entry type for movie in my
init.el like this:

,----
| (require 'ebib)
| (global-set-key "\C-ce" 'ebib)
| (add-to-list 'ebib-entry-types '(movie
|      (name director actors actress producer year dvd-type audio subtitle time)
|      (rating comment)))
`----

Here I have to use require instead of autoload for purpose of altering
value of ebib-entry-types.
Then I create from scratch my dvd file by:
M-x ebib RET
o ~/.emacs.d/dvd.bib RET
a -- input my first entry "the-merchant-of-venice:2004" (Movie The
Merchant of Venice is released in 2004. I use name:year as key).
And since default type is "article", I press "e" on type, and I can not
change it to "movie". TAB shows no "movie" in list.

So instead of adding my type directly into ebib.el, what should I do?
Anything I did is wrong?

Even as you said, ebib may not be my best solution, I think it's a not
bad solution to me since I only need basic features like input data and
search. And most important, it's Emacs solution.

Thanks for your good job. Though I have no idea about bibtex, I think
ebib is cool and useful.

* Re: Anyone knows how to do dvd/book collection management in Emacs?
@ 2007-04-02 16:51   ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2007-04-02 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

*On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 17:01:53 +0200
* Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu.org> climbed out of the dark hell and cried out:

>    Please shed light on me which app to use or where to grab bib file for
>    dvd (movie) and book collections.
>
> I do not understand. Is that really related to GNU Emacs ?
>
> Xavier
It's definitely related to Emacs since owing to my misunderstanding I
thought I need a pre-created bib file to use with ebib.

@ 2007-04-02 21:03         ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2007-04-02 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

CHENG Gao wrote:
[ebib]
> And I have a problem now.
> I dont like Customize, so instead I add my entry type for movie in my
> init.el like this:
>
> ,----
>| (require 'ebib)
>| (global-set-key "\C-ce" 'ebib)
>| (add-to-list 'ebib-entry-types '(movie
>|      (name director actors actress producer year dvd-type audio subtitle time)
>|      (rating comment)))
> `----
>
> Here I have to use require instead of autoload for purpose of altering
> value of ebib-entry-types.

yes, because the variable ebib-entry-types is only defined when ebib.el is
loaded.

> Then I create from scratch my dvd file by:
> M-x ebib RET
> o ~/.emacs.d/dvd.bib RET
> a -- input my first entry "the-merchant-of-venice:2004" (Movie The
> Merchant of Venice is released in 2004. I use name:year as key).
> And since default type is "article", I press "e" on type, and I can not
> change it to "movie". TAB shows no "movie" in list.
>
> So instead of adding my type directly into ebib.el, what should I do?
> Anything I did is wrong?

well, ebib-entry-types is unfortunately not a variable you can set
directly, because two other variables have to be set on the basis of
it. therefore, it's better to use the customisation interface.

however, if you really don't want to, you could do it by putting the
following in .emacs (after loading ebib.el):

(ebib-set-entry-types-hash 'ebib-entry-types
			   (cons '(movie
				   (name director actors actress producer year dvd-type audio subtitle time)
				   (rating comment))
				 ebib-entry-types))

> Thanks for your good job. Though I have no idea about bibtex, I think
> ebib is cool and useful.

thanks. :-)

--

@ 2007-04-03  8:32       ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-04-03  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> writes:

> CHENG Gao wrote:
>> Thanks for your info. I browsed ebib manual and thought it can only
>>  operate on a pre-created bib file. Glad to know it can create the file.
>
> mmm... i admit, it's burried a bit in the manual. the very last paragraph
> in section 2.1 "Getting Started" mentions it.
>
> anyway, ebib is meant to be used with bibtex files, and bibtex is meant to
> be used with latex, not as a stand-alone bibliography database engine. so
> if you just want to create a database of your books and dvds, and have no
> intention of using it with latex, ebib is probably not the best tool for
> the job.

That is quite true. However, one advantage may be that you can then easily use
one of the LaTeX packages for creating/printing covers for cd/dvd cases, so it
you have dvds you have burnt yourself, you can easily generate good covers for
them.

If the OP has no such plan to do this, there are probably better slutions than
ebib, such as emacs forms, emacs db etc.

Tim

--

@ 2007-04-03 14:28 ` dsoliver
From: dsoliver @ 2007-04-03 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

CHENG Gao wrote:
> I wanna manage my dvd collection and books in Emacs. Just I got idea how
> to do this. The first thing coming to my mind is ebib
> (http://ebib.sf.net). Just it can only operate on a pre-created bib
> file. I need to grab an existed bib file to use with ebib.
>
> Please shed light on me which app to use or where to grab bib file for
> dvd (movie) and book collections.
>
> TIA,
>
> CHENG Gao

You might like to look at the simple database program Peter Seibel
presents in his book _Practical Common Lisp_. It's easy to write and
can be modified to do exactly what you would like. I think the source
code is available online at www.apress.com. Look for chapter 3:
Practical: A simple database.

--Douglas

* Re: Anyone knows how to do dvd/book collection management in Emacs?
@ 2007-04-04 16:25           ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2007-04-04 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

*On 2 Apr 2007 21:03:30 GMT
* Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> climbed out of the dark hell and cried out:

> well, ebib-entry-types is unfortunately not a variable you can set
> directly, because two other variables have to be set on the basis of
> it. therefore, it's better to use the customisation interface.
>
> however, if you really don't want to, you could do it by putting the
> following in .emacs (after loading ebib.el):
>
> (ebib-set-entry-types-hash 'ebib-entry-types
> 			   (cons '(movie
> 				   (name director actors actress producer year dvd-type audio subtitle time)
> 				   (rating comment))
> 				 ebib-entry-types))

Thanks it works well.

I'll bother you with more Qs in the future. I'll post to ebib ML.