all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: function insight tooltip
       [not found] <3DF04191.6090608@_mobitech.no>
@ 2002-12-06 14:42 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-12-06 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Finn J Johnsen <finn@_mobitech.no> writes:

> I'm used to "function insight" -tooltip (or whatever it's called?)
> which you get in Borlands products. You get the functionparametes as
> tootip as you write the functioncall, and I've became painfully used
> to it.
>
> Is this possible in Emacs (for Windows even) ?

For which programming language?

`eldoc-mode' does it for Emacs Lisp, and the ilisp package provides it
for Common Lisp.  They don't actually use tooltips, but display the
information in the mini-buffer.

Something similar might be available for other languages -- for Java you
should probably look at the JDE package.

* Re: function insight tooltip
@ 2002-12-06 19:50   ` Jeffery B. Rancier
From: Jeffery B. Rancier @ 2002-12-06 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> Finn J Johnsen <finn@_mobitech.no> writes:
>
> > I'm used to "function insight" -tooltip (or whatever it's called?)
> > which you get in Borlands products. You get the functionparametes as
> > tootip as you write the functioncall, and I've became painfully used
> > to it.
> >
> > Is this possible in Emacs (for Windows even) ?
>
> For which programming language?
>
> `eldoc-mode' does it for Emacs Lisp, and the ilisp package provides it
> for Common Lisp.  They don't actually use tooltips, but display the
> information in the mini-buffer.
>
> Something similar might be available for other languages -- for Java you
> should probably look at the JDE package.

Take a look at Kevin Burton's site,
http://www.peerfear.org/rss/permalink/2002/11/22/1038017513-Emacs_tooltipatpoint_Implementation.shtml.

Jeff

@ 2002-12-09 10:27 ` Finn J Johnsen
From: Finn J Johnsen @ 2002-12-09 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm sorry... left out what programinglanguage : C / C++.

@ 2002-12-09 14:04 ` Eric Ludlam
From: Eric Ludlam @ 2002-12-09 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> Finn J Johnsen <finn@_mobitech.no> seems to think that:
>I'm used to "function insight" -tooltip (or whatever it's called?)
>which you get in Borlands products. You get the functionparametes as
>tootip as you write the functioncall, and I've became painfully used
>to it.

Hi,

  If you use the semantic package, you can get something close to
what you are looking for in those languages supported by semantic (c,
c++, java, scheme, & Make)

http://cedet.sourceforge.net/intellisense.shtml

Have fun
Eric

--
Eric Ludlam             "Photonic Doodler"    The MathWorks x 7556
eludlam@mathworks.com         (work)        http://www.mathworks.com