all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Better process-kill-query prompt
@ 2011-09-11  0:46 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-09-11  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Would installing the following patch be OK?  It would aid debugging
greatly if people can report back what the name of the buffer is that
Emacs is trying to kill.

=== modified file 'lisp/subr.el'
*** lisp/subr.el	2011-09-05 08:05:01 +0000
--- lisp/subr.el	2011-09-11 00:44:03 +0000
***************
*** 1904,1910 ****
      (or (not process)
          (not (memq (process-status process) '(run stop open listen)))
          (not (process-query-on-exit-flag process))
!         (yes-or-no-p "Buffer has a running process; kill it? "))))

  (add-hook 'kill-buffer-query-functions 'process-kill-buffer-query-function)

--- 1904,1911 ----
      (or (not process)
          (not (memq (process-status process) '(run stop open listen)))
          (not (process-query-on-exit-flag process))
!         (yes-or-no-p "Buffer \"%s\" has a running process; kill it? "
! 		     (buffer-name)))))

  (add-hook 'kill-buffer-query-functions 'process-kill-buffer-query-function)

* Re: Better process-kill-query prompt
@ 2011-09-11  1:08 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2011-09-11  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Would installing the following patch be OK?

[snip]

> !         (yes-or-no-p "Buffer \"%s\" has a running process; kill it? "
> ! 		     (buffer-name)))))

This change seems a no-brainer to me. I use some functions for killing
groups of buffers (mostly Compile buffers) and too often that question
pops up and I need to figure out which buffer still has a running
process.

* Re: Better process-kill-query prompt
@ 2011-09-11  2:59 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-09-11  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 02:46:05 +0200
>
> Would installing the following patch be OK?  It would aid debugging
> greatly if people can report back what the name of the buffer is that
> Emacs is trying to kill.

How about mentioning the name of the process as well?

* Re: Better process-kill-query prompt
@ 2011-09-11  3:14 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-09-11  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Would installing the following patch be OK?  It would aid debugging
> greatly if people can report back what the name of the buffer is that
> Emacs is trying to kill.

Sounds OK to me,

* Re: Better process-kill-query prompt
@ 2011-09-11  3:26   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-09-11  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> How about mentioning the name of the process as well?

In my experience, the buffer name is usually a lot more helpful, since
they tend to have sensible names, while processes usually have terse,
not very informative names.

And people are used to dealing with buffers, and processes are a bit
more esoteric, I think.

* Re: Better process-kill-query prompt
@ 2011-09-11  3:31   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-09-11  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Sounds OK to me,

Ok; I'm installing the change.

* Re: Better process-kill-query prompt
@ 2011-09-11  4:31     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-09-11  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 05:26:28 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > How about mentioning the name of the process as well?
>
> In my experience, the buffer name is usually a lot more helpful

I did say "as well", didn't I?

Some processes run in buffers whose name means nothing, like what
with-temp-buffer creates.  Having the process name (in addition to the
buffer name) could give a clue.

* Re: Better process-kill-query prompt
@ 2011-09-11  4:41       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-09-11  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I did say "as well", didn't I?

Yeah, but then the prompt would often be longer than 80 characters.  Not
that that's a catastrophe, but it's nice to keep them shortish, if
possible.

> Some processes run in buffers whose name means nothing, like what
> with-temp-buffer creates.  Having the process name (in addition to the
> buffer name) could give a clue.

That's true...