all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Hardcopy of selected sections Emacs info
@ 2004-05-24 19:05 Irving Kimura
From: Irving Kimura @ 2004-05-24 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to figure out how to print out selected sections of the
Emacs documentation (I normally read it via C-h i, etc.)

I can't find any *.texi or *.ps files for the distribution I have.
Where can I find a printable version of the documentation for v.
21.3 ?

Thanks!

Irv

* Re: Hardcopy of selected sections Emacs info
@ 2004-05-24 19:10 ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2004-05-24 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Irving Kimura <nomail_please@nomail.org> writes:

>I'm trying to figure out how to print out selected sections of the
>Emacs documentation (I normally read it via C-h i, etc.)
>
>I can't find any *.texi or *.ps files for the distribution I have.
>Where can I find a printable version of the documentation for v.
>21.3 ?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Irv

Does printing from within emacs with File --> Postscript Print Buffer
work for you?

--
Mike Slass

* Re: Hardcopy of selected sections Emacs info
@ 2004-05-24 20:07   ` Irving Kimura
From: Irving Kimura @ 2004-05-24 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <m3iselabfk.fsf@eric.rossnet.com> Michael Slass <miknrene@drizzle.com> writes:

>Irving Kimura <nomail_please@nomail.org> writes:

>>I'm trying to figure out how to print out selected sections of the
>>Emacs documentation (I normally read it via C-h i, etc.)
>>
>>I can't find any *.texi or *.ps files for the distribution I have.
>>Where can I find a printable version of the documentation for v.
>>21.3 ?

>Does printing from within emacs with File --> Postscript Print Buffer
>work for you?

Yes and no.  It prints the current buffer, but the information is
spread over many buffers.  I don't want to print the entire info
subtree for the section of interest by visiting each node and
printing it.  This is not only time-inefficient, but space-inefficient
as well, since many of these info node buffers contain only one
short paragraph.

@ 2004-05-24 20:12     ` Roodwriter
From: Roodwriter @ 2004-05-24 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Irving Kimura wrote:

> In <m3iselabfk.fsf@eric.rossnet.com> Michael Slass <miknrene@drizzle.com>
> writes:
>
>>Irving Kimura <nomail_please@nomail.org> writes:
>
>>>I'm trying to figure out how to print out selected sections of the
>>>Emacs documentation (I normally read it via C-h i, etc.)
>>>
>>>I can't find any *.texi or *.ps files for the distribution I have.
>>>Where can I find a printable version of the documentation for v.
>>>21.3 ?
>
>>Does printing from within emacs with File --> Postscript Print Buffer
>>work for you?
>
> Yes and no.  It prints the current buffer, but the information is
> spread over many buffers.  I don't want to print the entire info
> subtree for the section of interest by visiting each node and
> printing it.  This is not only time-inefficient, but space-inefficient
> as well, since many of these info node buffers contain only one
> short paragraph.
>
> Irv

How about highlighting what you want and using M-x append-to-buffer or M-x
append-to-file to collect them and then printing out the buffer/file when
you're finished.

If you're as lazy as I am, you'd macroize this.

--Rod

__________

Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at
http://www.rodwriterpublishing.com/index.html

To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of the name.

* Re: Hardcopy of selected sections Emacs info
@ 2004-05-24 20:43 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-05-24 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Irving Kimura <nomail_please@nomail.org> writes:

> I can't find any *.texi or *.ps files for the distribution I have.
> Where can I find a printable version of the documentation for v.
> 21.3 ?

Postscript, PDF, dvi, Texinfo etc. versions:

         <http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/>

--
Jesper Harder                                <http://purl.org/harder/>

* RE: Hardcopy of selected sections Emacs info
@ 2004-05-24 22:22     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2004-05-24 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

My library info+.el has a command that lets you merge all Info nodes under a
given node into the same Info buffer, with appropriate headings and
subheadings. If you use this at the top Info node for the Emacs manual, you
will get the whole manual in one buffer. You can then print this out.

Here is the library: http://www.emacswiki.org/elisp/info-plus.el. See
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/InfoMode for explanation.

Also, my library mkhtml.el lets you convert an Info buffer (or merged Info
buffer - see previous) to hyperlinked HTML that looks just like what you see
in Emacs. The Info mouse links are converted to HTML hyperlinks. Here is
that library: http://www.emacswiki.org/elisp/mkhtml.el. See
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SaveAsHtml for explanation.

Note: These libraries work in Emacs 20; they may not work in Emacs 21 out of
the box.

 - Drew

P.S. You can also download a PostScript version of the Emacs manual from
gnu.

@ 2004-05-25 10:27   ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2004-05-25 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Slass <miknrene@drizzle.com> writes:

> Does printing from within emacs with File --> Postscript Print
> Buffer work for you?

Speaking of printing, is there a way for emacs to print to a file
which I can later on open in some postscript capable program and
print from there. We have no postscript printer at work.

Mathias Dahl

* Re: Hardcopy of selected sections Emacs info
@ 2004-05-25 11:17     ` Kai Grossjohann
       [not found]     ` <mailman.7246.1085491150.1061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-05-25 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@hotmail.com> writes:

> Speaking of printing, is there a way for emacs to print to a file
> which I can later on open in some postscript capable program and
> print from there. We have no postscript printer at work.

ps-print-buffer is an interactive autoloaded Lisp function in `ps-print'.
It is bound to <menu-bar> <files> <ps-print-buffer>.
(ps-print-buffer &optional filename)

Generate and print a PostScript image of the buffer.

Interactively, when you use a prefix argument (C-u), the command prompts the
user for a file name, and saves the PostScript image in that file instead of
sending it to the printer.

Noninteractively, the argument filename is treated as follows: if it is nil,
send the image to the printer.  If filename is a string, save the PostScript
image in a file with that name.

[back]

* Re: Hardcopy of selected sections Emacs info
@ 2004-05-25 13:23     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.7246.1085491150.1061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-05-25 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@hotmail.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 25 May 2004 12:27:37 +0200
>
> Speaking of printing, is there a way for emacs to print to a file
> which I can later on open in some postscript capable program and
> print from there. We have no postscript printer at work.

You didn't read the doc string of ps-print-buffer, did you?  The
answer is right there.

@ 2004-05-26 10:31       ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2004-05-26 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> > From: Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@hotmail.com>
> > Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> > Date: 25 May 2004 12:27:37 +0200
> >
> > Speaking of printing, is there a way for emacs to print to a file
> > which I can later on open in some postscript capable program and
> > print from there. We have no postscript printer at work.
>
> You didn't read the doc string of ps-print-buffer, did you?  The
> answer is right there.

No I did not [*shameful*], but Kai kindly told me... :) It will
NEVER happen again, I promise... :)

Mathias Dahl