all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#20030: plstore caches invalid passphrases
@ 2015-03-07 14:11 Jonas Bernoulli
From: Jonas Bernoulli @ 2015-03-07 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 20030

When using symmetric encryption and
`plstore-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption' is non-nil,
`plstore-passphrase-callback-function' stores the passphrase entered
by the user in `plstore-passphrase-alist'.  This happens *before* the
passphrase is used to decrypt, and if it turns out that it was wrong,
then it is *not* removed from the cache.

So if caching is turned on and the user enters the wrong passphrase,
subsequent attempts to decrypt the same information will always fail,
because the cached but invalid passphrase is used.  The user has to
manually remove the invalid entry from `plstore-passphrase-alist' to
get a second chance at entering the passphrase correctly.

* bug#20030: plstore caches invalid passphrases
@ 2015-03-31  1:17 ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2015-03-31  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Bernoulli; +Cc: 20030-done

Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li> writes:

> When using symmetric encryption and
> `plstore-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption' is non-nil,
> `plstore-passphrase-callback-function' stores the passphrase entered
> by the user in `plstore-passphrase-alist'.  This happens *before* the
> passphrase is used to decrypt, and if it turns out that it was wrong,
> then it is *not* removed from the cache.

Thanks, good catch.  I've installed a fix:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=2e4b0c98