all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* let emacs server get the focus
@ 2003-02-20 16:41 Zero Void
From: Zero Void @ 2003-02-20 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is it possible that when after I run emacsclient, emacs can automatically
popup to the front and get focus? I found it's really inconvenient when I
have emacs minimized and in the meanwhile running emacsclient.

Thanks.

--
Whatever is not nailed down is mine.  Whatever I can pry up is not nailed down.
		-- Collis P. Huntingdon, railroad tycoon

* Re: let emacs server get the focus
@ 2003-02-20 16:47 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2003-02-20 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zero Void wrote:

> Is it possible that when after I run emacsclient, emacs can
> automatically popup to the front and get focus? I found it's really
> inconvenient when I have emacs minimized and in the meanwhile
> running emacsclient.

I use this:

  (add-hook 'server-visit-hook
            '(lambda ()
               (setq server-window (make-frame))))

I tried the following as well for a bit (to delete the frame on exit),
but then decided against it. It doesn't work with --no-wait.

  (add-hook 'server-done-hook
            '(lambda ()
               (delete-frame server-window)
               (setq server-window nil)))

* Re: let emacs server get the focus
@ 2003-02-20 16:50   ` Zero Void
From: Zero Void @ 2003-02-20 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Glenn Morris <gmorris+news@ast.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> Zero Void wrote:
>
>> Is it possible that when after I run emacsclient, emacs can
>> automatically popup to the front and get focus? I found it's really
>> inconvenient when I have emacs minimized and in the meanwhile
>> running emacsclient.
>
> I use this:
>
>   (add-hook 'server-visit-hook
>             '(lambda ()
>                (setq server-window (make-frame))))
>

> I tried the following as well for a bit (to delete the frame on exit),
> but then decided against it. It doesn't work with --no-wait.
>
>   (add-hook 'server-done-hook
>             '(lambda ()
>                (delete-frame server-window)
>                (setq server-window nil)))

Thanks a lot Glenn. It's much better now.

--
monitor VLF leakage