all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* outline-mode: change color setting
@ 2003-12-10 15:41 Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2003-12-10 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

Someone bought me 'Learning GNU Emacs' and I am very happy to learn
new tricks in my favourite editor. In one chapter, there is some
explanation of the outline-mode and I already managed to modify the
outline-regexp to meet my requirements in some files.

But unfortunately, the color highlighting is not optimal. I prefer
black background in my xterm and this is not good with (dark)blue
which my emacs (21) uses for some outlines.

So how can I modify this behaviour? (e.g. blue->lightblue)
Do I have to set some variables or do I have to modify the code for
the outline-mode?

--
Karl VOIT, Graz University of Technology (Austria/Europe)

* Re: outline-mode: change color setting
@ 2003-12-10 17:07 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-12-10 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Voit wrote:

> But unfortunately, the color highlighting is not optimal. I prefer
> black background in my xterm and this is not good with (dark)blue
> which my emacs (21) uses for some outlines.
>
> So how can I modify this behaviour? (e.g. blue->lightblue)
> Do I have to set some variables or do I have to modify the code for
> the outline-mode?

Looking at outline.el, it apparently uses the font-lock faces.  So
customize whichever face is suboptimal.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: outline-mode: change color setting
@ 2003-12-10 17:29   ` Hugh Lawson
From: Hugh Lawson @ 2003-12-10 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Karl Voit wrote:
>
> > But unfortunately, the color highlighting is not optimal. I prefer
> > black background in my xterm and this is not good with (dark)blue
> > which my emacs (21) uses for some outlines.
> > So how can I modify this behaviour? (e.g. blue->lightblue)
> > Do I have to set some variables or do I have to modify the code for
> > the outline-mode?
>
> Looking at outline.el, it apparently uses the font-lock faces.  So
> customize whichever face is suboptimal.

Sometimes in figuring this out, the following command is helpful:

M-x list-text-properties-at

If I enter this with point (called cursor in some other programs) on
the word 'suboptimal' above, this  is returned:

face                 message-cited-text-face
fontified            t

This tells me that the face 'message-cited-text-face' is the one to
customize if I don't like the looks of the quoted lines.

--
Hugh Lawson

* Re: outline-mode: change color setting
@ 2003-12-10 20:08     ` Martin Stemplinger
From: Martin Stemplinger @ 2003-12-10 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mit Dez 10 2003 at 18:29, Hugh Lawson <hlawson@triad.rr.com> wrote:

> M-x list-text-properties-at

Sounds very useful but my emacs (GNU emacs 21.3.50) doesn't know this
command :-(.

Any idea why?
--
Remove NOSPAM to reply by mail

* Re: outline-mode: change color setting
@ 2003-12-10 21:06       ` Hugh Lawson
From: Hugh Lawson @ 2003-12-10 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Stemplinger <mstemplingerNOSPAM@gmx.de> writes:

> On Mit Dez 10 2003 at 18:29, Hugh Lawson <hlawson@triad.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > M-x list-text-properties-at
> >
> Sounds very useful but my emacs (GNU emacs 21.3.50) doesn't know this
> command :-(.

Sorry I don't know.  On my Debian emacs21 package it's defined in:

/usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp/facemenu.el
/usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp/facemenu.elc

--
Hugh Lawson

* Re: outline-mode: change color setting
@ 2003-12-11 14:58       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-12-11 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> M-x list-text-properties-at
>>
> Sounds very useful but my emacs (GNU emacs 21.3.50) doesn't know this
> command :-(.

> Any idea why?

Try C-h N and it will tell you.

        Stefan

PS: Try also C-u C-x = to get what you want.

* Re: outline-mode: change color setting
@ 2003-12-11 19:54         ` Martin Stemplinger
From: Martin Stemplinger @ 2003-12-11 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Don Dez 11 2003 at 15:58, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> Try C-h N and it will tell you.
Very interesting reading indeed!

> PS: Try also C-u C-x = to get what you want.

Great! Thanks a lot.
--
Remove NOSPAM to reply by mail