all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Florian von Savigny <florian265@uboot.com>
Subject: Re: modifying movemail
Date: 19 Jun 2004 23:54:25 +0200	[thread overview]

.
> rm "$1".lock
> #### movemail                         -- 2003-10-27 01:10:45 -- pascal   ####

Thanks for this quick and simple poor man's file-locking mechanism,
Pascal, which I find quite charming (and couldn't have thought of) and
hadn't hoped for at all.

I fear, however, that the following is a bit less than what movemail
is expected to do:

> mv "$1" "$2"

as it does not overwrite the target Rmail file, but append to it while
emptying the spool file. So I suppose s.th like

cat "$1" >> "$2"
echo "" > "$1"

should do it. But movemail also converts Unix mbox format to Babyl
format on the fly (or have they switched to mbox as internal Rmail
format in the meantime? I read they were planning it.). How to achieve
that?

[BTW, I seem to have been less than clear about one thing: the movemail
I need to modify is the one to run under Linux, not the one that runs
under Windows. That has to deal with FAT32 anyway, thus should be able
to do the trick (though I haven't yet tested it--brrr...). But this
does not interfere with the usefulness of your solution.]

So thanks a lot - but is anybody able to help with the conversion (or
supply a pointer to the right information)?

--

Florian v. Savigny

If you are going to reply in private, please be patient, as I only
check for mail something like once a week. - Si vous allez répondre
personellement, patientez s.v.p., car je ne lis les courriels
qu'environ une fois par semaine.