all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* cut/paste support in X Windows (running Gnome)
@ 2005-03-16  8:08 Sergei Gnezdov
From: Sergei Gnezdov @ 2005-03-16  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

It is ironic, but cut/paste on X Windows does not work.  It works on
Windows XP Emacs GUI out of the box.  In fact, the only way I can copy
in X Windows is with mouse copy/paste functionality.

I am running:

FreeBSD 5.3
GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (X toolkit, Xaw3d scrollbars)

* Re: cut/paste support in X Windows (running Gnome)
@ 2005-03-16 10:25 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-03-16 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 16.03.2005 um 09:08 schrieb Sergei Gnezdov:

> It is ironic, but cut/paste on X Windows does not work.  It works on
> Windows XP Emacs GUI out of the box.  In fact, the only way I can copy
> in X Windows is with mouse copy/paste functionality.

In X11 copying and pasting are usually mouse driven events. If you want
to copy and paste without mouse just bind the functions to some key
events. In xterm you can specify extra bindings too in .Xdefaults using
the sources or targets PRIMARY, SECONDARY, CLIPBOARD, CUT_BUFFER0
through CUT_BUFFER7. Look at 'man xterm', insert-selection(),
select_start(), etc.

--
Greetings

   Pete

* Re: cut/paste support in X Windows (running Gnome)
@ 2005-03-16 19:27 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-03-16 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Sergei Gnezdov <use-reply-to@nofrom.not>
> Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:08:36 +0000 (UTC)
>
> It is ironic, but cut/paste on X Windows does not work.

It does for me.  Please describe the details, i.e. your Emacs version,
what you did to cut/paste, and what did or did not happen.

* Re: cut/paste support in X Windows (running Gnome)
@ 2005-03-17  3:08   ` Sergei Gnezdov
From: Sergei Gnezdov @ 2005-03-17  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2005-03-16, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: Sergei Gnezdov <use-reply-to@nofrom.not>
>> Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:08:36 +0000 (UTC)
>>
>> It is ironic, but cut/paste on X Windows does not work.
>
> It does for me.  Please describe the details, i.e. your Emacs version,
> what you did to cut/paste, and what did or did not happen.

GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386--freebsd, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)

1. Set mark (Ctrl-Space)
2. Go to the end of the region to copy
3. Press Ctrl-Ins.

   In Gnome terminal `emacs -nw` Ctrl-Ins generates: 5~

   In X Window based `emacs` it does not generate any guarbage, but it
   does not copy text into global buffer.

4. Go to gedit and press Shift-Ins.  Paste did not work.

Repeat the same steps on Windows XP machine and it will work just fine.

* Re: cut/paste support in X Windows (running Gnome)
@ 2005-03-17  4:40     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4135.1111036772.32256.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-03-17  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Sergei Gnezdov <use-reply-to@nofrom.not>
> Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 03:08:59 +0000 (UTC)
>
> 1. Set mark (Ctrl-Space)
> 2. Go to the end of the region to copy
> 3. Press Ctrl-Ins.
>
>    In Gnome terminal `emacs -nw` Ctrl-Ins generates: 5~
>
>    In X Window based `emacs` it does not generate any guarbage, but it
>    does not copy text into global buffer.

In both cases, what does Emacs display if you type the sequence
"Ctrl-h c Ctrl-Ins"?

(What do you mean by ``global buffer'', btw?)

Also, did you try to paste into X applications other than qedit, like
xterm, and did you try to paste into Emacs from other applications?
If you did, what were the results?

* XWin32 oddities (was: cut/paste support in X Windows (running Gnome))
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4135.1111036772.32256.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-03-17 20:53       ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2005-03-17 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On a related track (but probably quite unrelated and not Emacs' fault
at all):

Running emacs-21.3.1 from SuSe 9.1 using XWin32 6.0 and 6.1 on Windows
XP as X-server I cannot paste from Emacs to Windows applications.

Copying is set up in XWin32 and works between Linux' xterm or mozilla
to Windows, and also from Emacs to xterm, but not from Emacs to
Windows-apps... (using X' mouse selection/copying mechanism and CTRL-v
in Windows)

Has anybody seen something like that before? Any ideas or solutions?

Greetings,
Jochen
        (Part 3 you find in my messages before fall 2003.)

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

@ 2005-03-17 22:00     ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2005-03-17 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sergei> 1. Set mark (Ctrl-Space) 2. Go to the end of the region to
Sergei> copy 3. Press Ctrl-Ins.

I just gave that a test.  If you look at the output of C-h C-<INS>
you'll probably find that is is bound to kill-ring-save which uses
the value of the variable interprogram-cut-function for inserting
the region into the cut-n-paste system.

Im my case interprogram-cut-function is set to x-select-text and
x-select-enable-clipboard is nil so I have to use middle-click
rather than C-v to paste the text in other programs.  (BTW, I
had to look at the src of x-select-text to remind myself about
x-select-enable-clipboard.)

I bet that is your case as well.

Try setting x-select-enable-clipboard to t and see whether you
get the functionality you prefer.  You can customize it:

   (customize-variable 'x-select-enable-clipboard)

or just setq it in ~/.emacs:

   (setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)

P.S.     Apologies if I targeted this at a too low
         familiarity level at least it'll be there
         for the archive....

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr. <cloos@jhcloos.com>

* Re: cut/paste support in X Windows (running Gnome)
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-03-17 22:01     ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2005-03-17 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs