all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Ruby with Emacs
@ 2008-03-30 16:52 yanom @linuxmail.org
From: yanom @linuxmail.org @ 2008-03-30 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

      I know that emacs can be used as an editor for Python and C++, with features like syntax highlighting and the like. But does Emacs do that for Ruby? When I opened a Ruby file (*.rb), it didn't show the syntax highlighting like it does for Python. Do I need to download some extra package to use Emacs as a Ruby editor? If so, where do I get it?

=
Discount Dental Plans $19.95/Mo/Family
Including Vision & Pharmacy plans Online Enrollment Guaranteed Plan.
http://a8-asy.a8ww.net/a8-ads/adftrclick?redirectid=859904ccf4c124309471e81f6a231cac

--
Powered by Outblaze

* Re: Ruby with Emacs
@ 2008-03-30 20:42 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-03-30 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yanom @linuxmail.org; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

yanom @linuxmail.org wrote:
>       I know that emacs can be used as an editor for Python and C++, with features like syntax highlighting and the like. But does Emacs do that for Ruby? When I opened a Ruby file (*.rb), it didn't show the syntax highlighting like it does for Python. Do I need to download some extra package to use Emacs as a Ruby editor? If so, where do I get it?

There is a ruby-mode.el, but it is not part of Emacs.

* Re: Ruby with Emacs
       [not found] <mailman.9658.1206902455.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-04-01  2:32 ` Eric M. Ludlam
From: Eric M. Ludlam @ 2008-04-01  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> "yanom @linuxmail.org" <yanom@linuxmail.org> seems to think that:
>      I know that emacs can be used as an editor for Python and C++,
>with features like syntax highlighting and the like. But does Emacs do
>that for Ruby? When I opened a Ruby file (*.rb), it didn't show the
>syntax highlighting like it does for Python. Do I need to download
>some extra package to use Emacs as a Ruby editor? If so, where do I
>get it?

You can find ruby-mode in the misc/ directory of the Ruby source code
(www.ruby-lang.org).

Ruby is also supported in CEDET (cedet.sf.net) for use in ECB
(ecb.sf.net) though I do not know how much of the smart completion, or
other features from CEDET work.

Eric

* Re: Ruby with Emacs
@ 2008-04-01  4:35   ` rustom