all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* TLS problem: gnutls-e-again
@ 2016-03-05 13:37 Magnus Henoch
From: Magnus Henoch @ 2016-03-05 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,

I just updated to the latest master, and found that there are problems
establishing TLS connections. With jabber.el, this is what appears in the
messages buffer:

Connecting to xmpp.l.google.com:5222...
gnutls.el: (err=[gnutls-e-again] Resource temporarily unavailable, try
again.) boot: (:priority NORMAL :hostname gmail.com :loglevel 0
:min-prime-bits nil :trustfiles (/opt/local/share/curl/curl-ca-bundle.crt)
:crlfiles nil :keylist nil :verify-flags nil :verify-error (:hostname . t)
:callbacks nil)
magnus.henoch@gmail.com: connection lost: ‘STARTTLS negotiation failed:
GnuTLS error: #<process jabber>, gnutls-e-again’

Unfortunately, my attempts at creating a self-contained test case have
failed so far... What jabber.el does, is that it opens an asynchronous
network connection (:nowait t), performs XMPP feature negotiation in
cleartext, and then attempts to do STARTTLS using gnutls-negotiate.

I can reproduce this on OSX as well as GNU/Linux:

GNU Emacs 25.1.50.4 (x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0, NS appkit-1348.17 Version
10.10.5 (Build 14F1509)) of 2016-03-05
GNU Emacs 25.1.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2) of
2016-03-05

Any idea what might be wrong? Is there any more information that would be
helpful?

Regards,
Magnus

* Re: TLS problem: gnutls-e-again
@ 2016-03-05 19:05 Magnus Henoch
From: Magnus Henoch @ 2016-03-05 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Magnus Henoch <magnus.henoch@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Connecting to xmpp.l.google.com:5222...  gnutls.el:
>> (err=[gnutls-e-again] Resource temporarily unavailable, try
>> again.)  boot: (:priority NORMAL :hostname gmail.com :loglevel
>> 0 :min-prime-bits nil :trustfiles
>> (/opt/local/share/curl/curl-ca-bundle.crt) :crlfiles nil
>> :keylist nil :verify-flags nil :verify-error (:hostname . t)
>> :callbacks nil) magnus.henoch@gmail.com: connection lost:
>> ‘STARTTLS negotiation failed: GnuTLS error: #<process jabber>,
>> gnutls-e-again’
>>
>> Unfortunately, my attempts at creating a self-contained test
>> case have failed so far... What jabber.el does, is that it
>> opens an asynchronous network connection (:nowait t), performs
>> XMPP feature negotiation in cleartext, and then attempts to do
>> STARTTLS using gnutls-negotiate.
>
> On non-blocking sockets, gnutls-boot no longer waits for the
> connection to complete.  But if you try to talk to it before
> it's completed, it should block the communication until that has
> happened, so what function is it that gets that return value?

The symbol gnutls-e-again was returned from gnutls-boot, inside
gnutls-negotiate.  It then called gnutls-errorp on it, which
returned t, and thus an error was signalled.

> Anyway, there should be a way to specify that you want TLS
> negotiation to complete even on non-blocking sockets, so I've
> now added this to the trunk.  It should probably fix your use
> case, too.
>
> Could you try updating from git and running jabberd again?

That fixes the problem.  Thanks!

Regards,
Magnus