all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Search Next
@ 2002-12-09 15:39 CarlC
From: CarlC @ 2002-12-09 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am having trouble finding the emacs command for Find Next. Basically, I
want to be able to press a key and have it search for the next occurrence of
the previously entered search string. I know that I can do CTRL-S while in
isearch and it will move to the next occurence. I want to do this after
exiting isearch.

On a related subject, what is the name of the variable that stores this last
search string? I want to be able to save this for each file from session.el.

Thanks.

* Re: Search Next
@ 2002-12-09 15:52 ` Galen Boyer
       [not found]   ` <KI4J9.122660$Gc.3983550@twister.austin.rr.com>
From: Galen Boyer @ 2002-12-09 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 09 Dec 2002, carlc@snowbd.com wrote:
> I am having trouble finding the emacs command for Find
> Next. Basically, I want to be able to press a key and have it
> search for the next occurrence of the previously entered search
> string. I know that I can do CTRL-S while in isearch and it
> will move to the next occurence. I want to do this after
> exiting isearch.

Why can't you do C-s C-s again?  It will keep your last search as
the default for the next one, and you can do M-p to get other
searches.

> On a related subject, what is the name of the variable that
> stores this last search string? I want to be able to save this
> for each file from session.el.

isearch-string
--
Galen Boyer

* Re: Search Next
       [not found]   ` <KI4J9.122660$Gc.3983550@twister.austin.rr.com>
@ 2002-12-09 21:16     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2002-12-09 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

CarlC wrote:

> "Galen Boyer" <galenboyer@hotpop.com> wrote in message
>>Why can't you do C-s C-s again?  It will keep your last search as
>>the default for the next one, and you can do M-p to get other
>>searches.
>
> This works fine. Can I bind it to a function key?

Of course:

(global-set-key [f5] "\C-s\C-s")	; keyboard macro

--

* Re: Search Next
       [not found]   ` <KI4J9.122660$Gc.3983550@twister.austin.rr.com>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-10  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

"CarlC" <carlc@snowbd.com> writes:

> session stores search-ring as a global list of search strings. C-s
> C-s works from the last string in this global list. I want to
> remember the last search string for the individual file.

Sounds like an interesting feature, but I don't think Emacs has it.
Hm.  I can't find the variable that would hold the history for
isearch.

What happens if you do M-: (make-local-variable 'isearch-string) RET
in a buffer?  Then C-s C-s in that buffer should remember the last
search from that buffer, instead of the last search in any buffer.

If you really want that for all buffers, then (require 'isearch) and
then (make-variable-buffer-local 'isearch-string) might be an
incantation to add to .emacs.

* Re: Search Next
@ 2002-12-10 11:15 ` ken
From: ken @ 2002-12-10 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

The first C-s will prompt for the search string.  If you respond to this
with another C-s, it will use the previously entered search string.
That is, all you have to do is do C-s twice.

ken

=
= On a related subject, what is the name of the variable that stores this last
= search string? I want to be able to save this for each file from session.el.
=
= Thanks.
=
=
= _______________________________________________
= Help-gnu-emacs mailing list
= Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
=

* Re: Search Next
@ 2002-12-10 14:10       ` CarlC
From: CarlC @ 2002-12-10 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Kai Großjohann" <kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de> wrote in message
> "CarlC" <carlc@snowbd.com> writes:
>
> > session stores search-ring as a global list of search strings. C-s
> > C-s works from the last string in this global list. I want to
> > remember the last search string for the individual file.
>
> Sounds like an interesting feature, but I don't think Emacs has it.
> Hm.  I can't find the variable that would hold the history for
> isearch.
>
> What happens if you do M-: (make-local-variable 'isearch-string) RET
> in a buffer?  Then C-s C-s in that buffer should remember the last
> search from that buffer, instead of the last search in any buffer.

I don't want to completely segregate search strings between buffers. When I
save a file, I want emacs to "remember" the latest search string so that
when I re-edit the file, C-s C-s will use that string. If I save one file
right after another, they would have the same search string saved. Seems
trivial, but is useful in our environment.

* Re: Search Next
@ 2002-12-10 18:06         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-10 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

"CarlC" <carlc@snowbd.com> writes:

> I don't want to completely segregate search strings between buffers. When I
> save a file, I want emacs to "remember" the latest search string so that
> when I re-edit the file, C-s C-s will use that string. If I save one file
> right after another, they would have the same search string saved. Seems
> trivial, but is useful in our environment.

I'm afraid you have to do it yourself, then.

It's not clear to me how to find out if two files are saved `right
after another'.  Hm.  You would have to arrange for Emacs to save the
search strings in an extra file on exit.  Hm.  desktop.el can already
save some things, and I think it can be configured to save more, so
you might be able to hook into that.

* Re: Search Next
@ 2002-12-10 20:59           ` CarlC
From: CarlC @ 2002-12-10 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> "CarlC" <carlc@snowbd.com> writes:
>
> It's not clear to me how to find out if two files are saved `right
> after another'.  Hm.  You would have to arrange for Emacs to save the
> search strings in an extra file on exit.  Hm.  desktop.el can already
> save some things, and I think it can be configured to save more, so
> you might be able to hook into that.

It doesn't matter to me when a file is saved. I just want to have the search
string saved with that file. From what I have read, desktop.el is not what I
want. I think that session.el _can_ do what I want, but am having trouble
saving isearch-string as a local variable. Let's say that I open file A,
search for "123", make some mods and then save file A. When I open file B,
C-s C-s will do a search for "123" if I use session.el. I want this to do a
search on the string that was used when I last saved file B, not file A.

My impression of desktop.el is that it will resume my last session exactly
as I left it. All buffers opened with cursor in last position, etc. I just
want to be able to open a file explicitly and retain position and search
string from the previous edit of that file.

* Re: Search Next
@ 2002-12-11 16:27             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-11 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

"CarlC" <carlc@snowbd.com> writes:

> "Kai Großjohann" <kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de> wrote in message
>> "CarlC" <carlc@snowbd.com> writes:
>>
>> It's not clear to me how to find out if two files are saved `right
>> after another'.  Hm.  You would have to arrange for Emacs to save the
>> search strings in an extra file on exit.  Hm.  desktop.el can already
>> save some things, and I think it can be configured to save more, so
>> you might be able to hook into that.
>
> It doesn't matter to me when a file is saved.

Previously, you said that you want to `group' files.  So if you save
fileA and fileB `together', then they should share the same search
string.  That's at least what I understood from your previous message.

> [...]
> My impression of desktop.el is that it will resume my last session exactly
> as I left it. All buffers opened with cursor in last position, etc. I just
> want to be able to open a file explicitly and retain position and search
> string from the previous edit of that file.

So we're back to square one.  You want to make isearch-string
buffer-local.  Then you want to make sure that the buffer-local value
is saved when you exit Emacs and loaded again when you enter Emacs
again.

First, please try whether it works to make the variable buffer-local.

Secondly, investigate how session.el or desktop.el allows you to save
per-buffer settings.

If that all pans out well, the following should do it:

(1) Tell Emacs that isearch-string is buffer-local, by putting
    (require 'isearch)
    (make-variable-buffer-local 'isearch-string)
    into ~/.emacs.

(2) Tell session.el or desktop.el to save the value of isearch-string
    for each buffer.

* Re: Search Next
@ 2002-12-12 15:23 ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2002-12-12 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Carl,

"CarlC" <carlc@snowbd.com> writes:
> On a related subject, what is the name of the variable that stores
> this last search string? I want to be able to save this for each
> file from session.el.

Looking at isearch.el and a bit of testing suggests that the variables
search-ring and regexp-search-ring contain the relevant history of
searches.  These variables are not buffer-local.  They are saved by
desktop.el.

Hope this helps, benny

* Re: Search Next
@ 2002-12-13 23:21         ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2002-12-13 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

CarlC <carlc@snowbd.com> wrote on Tue, 10 Dec 2002 14:10:32 GMT:

> I don't want to completely segregate search strings between buffers.
> When I save a file, I want emacs to "remember" the latest search string
> so that when I re-edit the file, C-s C-s will use that string. If I
> save one file right after another, they would have the same search
> string saved. Seems trivial, but is useful in our environment.

Desktop does that :-).  Look up the emacs manual page "Saving Emacs
Sessions".

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter

* Re: Search Next
@ 2002-12-14 19:56           ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-12-14 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I don't want to completely segregate search strings between buffers.
>> When I save a file, I want emacs to "remember" the latest search string
>> so that when I re-edit the file, C-s C-s will use that string. If I
>> save one file right after another, they would have the same search
>> string saved. Seems trivial, but is useful in our environment.
> Desktop does that :-).

Be careful about the case where the user does:

   > emacs some-file
   C-s foobar
   C-x k RET
   C-x C-c

In such a case, `desktop' won't see the `some-file' buffer since it's
been killed before exiting.