Stefan Monnier writes: > So curl doesn't implement Accept/Content-Encoding either? That's weird! It does, but you have to say "curl --compressed". That makes curl both say that it accept gzipped content and decompresses it if it gets it. Although it's "wrong" for the server to output compressed data if the client doesn't say that it accepts it, I think it's pretty buggy not to decode the compressed data, anyway. > Sounds good, tho I'd prefer to see the patch first. I've included the new .c file below. The attendant code change to lisp.h/emacs.c is what you'd expect. Now I just have to write the configure.ac code to define HAVE_ZLIB.