all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs 19.34 to emacs-21.3 changes
@ 2003-08-13  3:47 Warren L Dodge
From: Warren L Dodge @ 2003-08-13  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just went from emacs-19.34 to emacs-21.3 on Solaris 8. A lot has happened
over the last few years.

There are a few things I just can't figure out.

1.    How do you make the initial screen go away without clicking on it? I
      fire up RMAIL in my .emacs. I see RMAIL come up and then the initial
      screen comes up and I have to click to make it go away. In 19.34 it
      would not come up if RMAIL was started.

2.    In perl-mode it seems to be checking for what color to make everything
      across the whole buffer interactively. I delete a " from a string and
      the whole buffer turns blue. The I put the " back and eventually it
      will turn back to normal colors. 19.34 only did this on the line being
      worked on. Is there a way to get the old behaviour?

3,    I am not sure but I think I had a similar problem when editing an RMAIL
      message that had lots of " and ' characters. I would edit and it would
      take forever to take my typing as I moved things around. I did have a
      couple of large attachments in other mail messages so the rmail buffer
      size was about 3meg.

4.    I can't figure out how to enable the browser and mime modes for rmail
      messages. Any help here would be appreciated.

Hope someone can help. I hope responses can be by email. I don't frequent the
news pages but can if needed.

Thank you

Warren Dodge

* Re: emacs 19.34 to emacs-21.3 changes
       [not found] <mailman.357.1060746679.29551.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-08-13 17:54 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-08-13 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren L Dodge wrote:

> I just went from emacs-19.34 to emacs-21.3 on Solaris 8. A lot has happened
> over the last few years.
>
> There are a few things I just can't figure out.
>
> 1.    How do you make the initial screen go away without clicking on it? I
>       fire up RMAIL in my .emacs. I see RMAIL come up and then the initial
>       screen comes up and I have to click to make it go away. In 19.34 it
>       would not come up if RMAIL was started.

I think if you call rmail from the command line (i.e. via -f, --funcall, or
--eval), the splash screen won't be displayed.

--
Kevin Rodgers

@ 2003-08-13 19:32 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-08-13 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)