all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* xml indenting, possibly with psgml?
@ 2002-12-06 14:24 Bjoern
From: Bjoern @ 2002-12-06 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I can't figure out how to make psgml indent my xml-files. It just
doesn't do anything when I press 'tab' or do 'indent-region'.

I also get an error message because it doesn't find the dtd, can't I get
rid of that. I guess I really only need indenting and possibly syntax
highlighting.

Perhaps there is a simpler mode for achieving this?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Bjoern

* Re: xml indenting, possibly with psgml?
@ 2002-12-06 15:55 ` Jim Crossley
From: Jim Crossley @ 2002-12-06 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bjoern <p1@blinker.net> writes:

> I can't figure out how to make psgml indent my xml-files. It just
> doesn't do anything when I press 'tab' or do 'indent-region'.

M-x customize-variable RET sgml-indent-data

> I also get an error message because it doesn't find the dtd, can't I
> get rid of that. I guess I really only need indenting and possibly
> syntax highlighting.

You'll only get that error once (the first time it attempts to
parse).  You can live with it (and still derive benefit from
indentation, etc) or you can create a local CATALOG file that contains
the DTD references you commonly use.  I highly recommend this article:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-emacs/

> Perhaps there is a simpler mode for achieving this?

Not really.

> Bjoern

Jim

* Re: xml indenting, possibly with psgml?
@ 2002-12-06 16:19 ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-12-06 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I also get an error message because it doesn't find the dtd, can't I get rid
> of that. I guess I really only need indenting and possibly
> syntax highlighting.

The newer version of sgml-mode (the one bundled with Emacs) will do
just that.  You can try it out from the CVS directory.  It reportedly
works under Emacs-21.[12] as well.

http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/textmodes/sgml-mode.el?rev=HEAD

* Re: xml indenting, possibly with psgml?
@ 2002-12-06 21:45 ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2002-12-06 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bjoern <p1@blinker.net> writes:

>Hello,
>
>I can't figure out how to make psgml indent my xml-files. It just doesn't
>do anything when I press 'tab' or do 'indent-region'.

xml-lite is a minor mode which does this.
--
Mike Slass

* Re: xml indenting, possibly with psgml?
@ 2002-12-10 23:13   ` Bjoern
From: Bjoern @ 2002-12-10 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jim Crossley wrote:
> Bjoern <p1@blinker.net> writes:
>

>>I can't figure out how to make psgml indent my xml-files. It just
>>doesn't do anything when I press 'tab' or do 'indent-region'.
>

> M-x customize-variable RET sgml-indent-data

Hm, my emacs doesn't seem to know that variable :-(

>>I also get an error message because it doesn't find the dtd, can't I
>>get rid of that. I guess I really only need indenting and possibly
>>syntax highlighting.
>

> You'll only get that error once (the first time it attempts to
> parse).  You can live with it (and still derive benefit from
> indentation, etc) or you can create a local CATALOG file that contains
> the DTD references you commonly use.  I highly recommend this article:

The problem is that there isn't really a DTD for ant build.xml files.
ALthough I think there now is a target to create one from a build file,
but I am not sure if it's practical if it's constantly changing.

@ 2002-12-10 23:29   ` Bjoern
From: Bjoern @ 2002-12-10 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier  wrote:

>>I also get an error message because it doesn't find the dtd, can't I get rid
>>of that. I guess I really only need indenting and possibly
>>syntax highlighting.
>

> The newer version of sgml-mode (the one bundled with Emacs) will do
> just that.  You can try it out from the CVS directory.  It reportedly
> works under Emacs-21.[12] as well.

That seems to work great, thanks! Apparently the version that came with
my emacs (21.2 for win32) was buggy, which was probably why I installed
psgml to begin with.

Now onwards trying to figure out how to make emacs indent with spaces
only (no tabs) and how to compile the .el file (the latter should be easy).

@ 2002-12-11  0:32     ` Bjoern
From: Bjoern @ 2002-12-11  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bjoern wrote:

[...]

> Now onwards trying to figure out how to make emacs indent with spaces
> only (no tabs) and how to compile the .el file (the latter should be easy).

Managed both, somehow things are working better this time than last time
I tried.

Bjoern

* Self-documentation adjustment
@ 2002-12-11  1:32       ` David Forrest
From: David Forrest @ 2002-12-11  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a way to modify/advise the documentation strings in functions and
variables after they have been defined?

What I would be looking for would be something like the scenario:

C-h a mouse

;;; notice apropos-mouse-follow is not documented
;;; research it and then execute something like:

(document apropos-mouse-follow "Use the mouse to follow an apropos link.")

;;; and then have C-h a apropos-mouse-follow show the new documentation

apropos-mouse-follow	      <mouse-2>
  Use the mouse to follow an apropos link.

-------------------

I know I could redefine the function and edit my copy of the original
file, but I would like to be able to extend the documentation without
ham-handedly corrupting the underlying files, functions, or variables.

Thanks for your time,
Dave
--
 Dave Forrest    (434)924-3954w(111B) (804)642-0662h (804)695-2026p
 drf5n@virginia.edu             http://mug.sys.virginia.edu/~drf5n/

* Re: Self-documentation adjustment
@ 2002-12-11 14:25         ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-12-11 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> (document apropos-mouse-follow "Use the mouse to follow an apropos link.")

(put 'apropos-mouse-follow 'function-documentation "Follow link")

> I know I could redefine the function and edit my copy of the original
> file, but I would like to be able to extend the documentation without
> ham-handedly corrupting the underlying files, functions, or variables.

Please report such missing docstrings with M-x report-emacs-bug.

        Stefan

PS: The above function has disappeared from Emacs so there's no need to
    report it.

* Re: Self-documentation adjustment
@ 2002-12-11 14:53         ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2002-12-11 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Forrest wrote:

> I know I could redefine the function and edit my copy of the original
> file, but I would like to be able to extend the documentation without
> ham-handedly corrupting the underlying files, functions, or variables.

defadvice is your friend (see emacs-lisp/advice.el)

--

* Re: xml indenting, possibly with psgml?
@ 2002-12-11 20:34     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-11 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bjoern <p1@blinker.net> writes:

> Jim Crossley wrote:
>> Bjoern <p1@blinker.net> writes:
>>
>>>I can't figure out how to make psgml indent my xml-files. It just
>>>doesn't do anything when I press 'tab' or do 'indent-region'.
>> M-x customize-variable RET sgml-indent-data
>
> Hm, my emacs doesn't seem to know that variable :-(

What does C-h v say about it?  Maybe it's a variable but not a Custom
option.

> The problem is that there isn't really a DTD for ant build.xml
> files. ALthough I think there now is a target to create one from a
> build file, but I am not sure if it's practical if it's constantly
> changing.

I know next to nothing about build files, but I always thought the
DTD was rather fixed.  You might wish to try the Ant command on two
different build files to see if the DTD is different.  (ant -projecthelp?)

* RE: xml indenting, possibly with psgml?
@ 2002-12-12  6:17 Dmitri.Minaev
From: Dmitri.Minaev @ 2002-12-12  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

For those missing the DTD for build.xml:

http://www.sdv.fr/pages/casa/html/ant-dtd.en.html

PS: I didn't try it, though. Build.xml files are evil, use Make instead ;)

--
With best regards,
Dmitri Minaev

* Moving a symbol from one obarray to another
@ 2002-12-24  3:22         ` Greg Hill
From: Greg Hill @ 2002-12-24  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

My objective is to move a symbol from one obarray to another.  The
following routine seems to do that ok.

(defun move-symbol (sym-name from-obarray to-obarray)
   "Move symbol named SYM-NAME from FROM-OBARRAY to TO-OBARRAY"
   (let ((old-sym (intern-soft sym-name from-obarray))
           (new-sym (intern sym-name to-obarray)) )
     (set new-sym (symbol-value old-sym))
     (fset new-sym (symbol-function old-sym))
     (setplist new-sym (symbol-plist old-sym))
     (unintern sym-name from-obarray) ))

My question is, is there a more efficient way to do that, e.g.
without creating a whole new symbol and destroying the old one?

--Greg

* Re: xml indenting, possibly with psgml?
@ 2003-01-10  5:33   ` Gman
From: Gman @ 2003-01-10  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier  wrote:

>>I also get an error message because it doesn't find the dtd, can't I get rid
>>of that. I guess I really only need indenting and possibly
>>syntax highlighting.
>

> The newer version of sgml-mode (the one bundled with Emacs) will do
> just that.  You can try it out from the CVS directory.  It reportedly
> works under Emacs-21.[12] as well.
>
> http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/textmodes/sgml-mode.el?rev=HEAD
>

>         Stefan

I downloaded this guy and loaded it up, but when I C-x h and C-M \ it
doesn't seem to indent logically.  It basically indents every line
increasingly so that they form a backwards stair-step pattern.  Any hints???

I loaded up psgml also and got nuthin' for indent-region, even after the
set variable tricks mentioned.  I am running NTEmacs 20.7.

Didn't like the way I had to force psgml to parse the buffer b4
font-locking either, or the way it seemed to be parsing on keystroke and
    taking a bunch of processor overhead while just navigating the file

Of course, it is entirely possible that I do not know what I am doing. :)

Thanks,
Greg

* RE: xml indenting, possibly with psgml?
@ 2003-01-10 17:20 Jayakrishnan Nair
From: Jayakrishnan Nair @ 2003-01-10 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

You may want to try this

http://members.iinet.net.au/~mdub/software/xml-lite.el

>>I also get an error message because it doesn't find the dtd, can't I
get rid
>>of that. I guess I really only need indenting and possibly
>>syntax highlighting.
>

> The newer version of sgml-mode (the one bundled with Emacs) will do
> just that.  You can try it out from the CVS directory.  It reportedly
> works under Emacs-21.[12] as well.

http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/textmodes/sgml-
mode.el?rev=HEAD

>         Stefan

I downloaded this guy and loaded it up, but when I C-x h and C-M \ it
doesn't seem to indent logically.  It basically indents every line
increasingly so that they form a backwards stair-step pattern.  Any
hints???

I loaded up psgml also and got nuthin' for indent-region, even after the

set variable tricks mentioned.  I am running NTEmacs 20.7.

Didn't like the way I had to force psgml to parse the buffer b4
font-locking either, or the way it seemed to be parsing on keystroke and

    taking a bunch of processor overhead while just navigating the file

Of course, it is entirely possible that I do not know what I am doing.
:)

Thanks,
Greg

* Re: xml indenting, possibly with psgml?
@ 2003-01-12 20:46     ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2003-01-12 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/textmodes/sgml-mode.el?rev=HEAD
> I downloaded this guy and loaded it up, but when I C-x h and C-M \ it
> doesn't seem to indent logically.  It basically indents every line
> increasingly so that they form a backwards stair-step pattern.  Any hints???

Just like with most auto-indenting modes (well, maybe more so ;-), you have
to be careful where you break your lines.  Try to insert newlines at
various places to see what helps.  In any case, send a problematic sample to
emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org so we can see what to do with it.