all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* current-time-zone
@ 2003-12-19 23:59 gebser
From: gebser @ 2003-12-19 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Should "M-x current-time-zone" return something?  Using emacs v.20.7.1
all get in the minibuffer is "[No match]".  However, "C-h f
current-time-zone" shows:

<snip>
current-time-zone is a built-in function.

Return the offset and name for the local time zone.
This returns a list of the form (OFFSET NAME).
OFFSET is an integer number of seconds ahead of UTC (east of Greenwich).
    A negative value means west of Greenwich.
NAME is a string giving the name of the time zone.
If an argument is given, it specifies when the time zone offset is
determined
instead of using the current time.  The argument should have the form:
  (HIGH . LOW)
or the form:
  (HIGH LOW . IGNORED).
Thus, you can use times obtained from `current-time'
and from `file-attributes'.

Some operating systems cannot provide all this information to Emacs;
in this case, `current-time-zone' returns a list containing nil for
the data it can't find.

(current-time-zone &optional SPECIFIED-TIME)
</snip>

I'm thinking that, for some reason, this function isn't getting the info
it needs from the system... which is strange because I know that $TZ is
set.  Bug?  Workaround?  What?

tnx,
ken

* Re: current-time-zone
       [not found] <mailman.396.1071882284.868.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-12-20  0:19 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-12-20  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

gebser@speakeasy.net writes:

> Should "M-x current-time-zone" return something?  Using emacs v.20.7.1
> all get in the minibuffer is "[No match]".

`current-time-zone' is not an interactive function.  You can't call it
with `M-x'.

You can do `M-: (current-time-zone)' or eval it from the scratch
buffer.

* Re: current-time-zone
@ 2003-12-22 19:12   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-12-22 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder wrote:

> gebser@speakeasy.net writes:
>>Should "M-x current-time-zone" return something?  Using emacs v.20.7.1
>>all get in the minibuffer is "[No match]".
>>

> `current-time-zone' is not an interactive function.  You can't call it
> with `M-x'.

But you can if you do this:

(defadvice current-time-zone (around interactive activate)
   "If called interactively, display the result in the echo area (and
append to the *Messages* buffer).  If a prefix arg is specified, prompt
for SPECIFIED-TIME."
   (interactive (list (if current-prefix-arg
			 (let ((now (decode-time (current-time))))
			   (encode-time (string-to-number
					 (read-string "Year: "
						      (format "%d"
                                                               (nth 5 now))))