all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs RCS ci failed
@ 2004-01-23 14:19 gg44060
From: gg44060 @ 2004-01-23 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
   I am using RCS with multiple branches.  When I make a change and
try to checkin  with C-x C-q, I get an error "ci failed".  With C-x v
l I see that there are multiple locks.  How do I fix this?  I can
choose a branch manually each time I checkin, but that is quite
tedious.  Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

* Re: Emacs RCS ci failed
@ 2004-01-23 22:33 ` LEE Sau Dan
From: LEE Sau Dan @ 2004-01-23 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

    gg44060> Hello, I am using RCS with multiple branches.  When I
    gg44060> make a change and try to checkin with C-x C-q, I get an
    gg44060> error "ci failed".  With C-x v l I see that there are
    gg44060> multiple locks.  How do I fix this?

'ci'  can't guess  which version  you're trying  to check  in, because
you're holding more than one locks  on that file.  Try C-u C-x C-q and
see if Emacs prompts you to specify a version number to check in as.

    gg44060> I can choose a branch manually each time I checkin, but
    gg44060> that is quite tedious.

Use the  "rcs" command  in a  shell to remove  the other  locks you're
holding.  Something  like "rcs  -u1.2.3.4 filename".  Read  "man rcs".
(Read  also  the info  pages  on  vc.  It  may  has  support for  this
operation from  within Emacs.   Or there may  be some  Emacs variables
with which you can specify the "default" branch to check into.)

--
Lee Sau Dan                     李守敦(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)

E-mail: danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de

* Re: Emacs RCS ci failed
@ 2004-02-24 15:39   ` gg44060
From: gg44060 @ 2004-02-24 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

LEE Sau Dan wrote in message news:<m3broucn25.fsf@mika.informatik.uni-freiburg.de>...

>     gg44060> Hello, I am using RCS with multiple branches.  When I
>     gg44060> make a change and try to checkin with C-x C-q, I get an
>     gg44060> error "ci failed".  With C-x v l I see that there are
>     gg44060> multiple locks.  How do I fix this?
>
> 'ci'  can't guess  which version  you're trying  to check  in, because
> you're holding more than one locks  on that file.  Try C-u C-x C-q and
> see if Emacs prompts you to specify a version number to check in as.
>

>     gg44060> I can choose a branch manually each time I checkin, but
>     gg44060> that is quite tedious.
>
> Use the  "rcs" command  in a  shell to remove  the other  locks you're
> holding.  Something  like "rcs  -u1.2.3.4 filename".  Read  "man rcs".
> (Read  also  the info  pages  on  vc.  It  may  has  support for  this
> operation from  within Emacs.   Or there may  be some  Emacs variables
> with which you can specify the "default" branch to check into.)

This is what I ended up doing.  I hear the version control code is
much better in Emacs 21, so I'll see how what works out.  From what I
saw in the info manuals, there is no support for removing locks etc in
Emacs 20.7

Thanks for the help.