all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Strange yank behaviour
@ 2004-07-27 17:26 Torsten Bronger
From: Torsten Bronger @ 2004-07-27 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Halloechen!

Sometimes, when I want to insert something with C-y, I don't get
the last bust the *second* last think that I've killed.  With M-y I
can switch to the correct one.

How can I switch off this behaviour?  I use GNU Emacs 21.3.50.2.

Thank you!

Tschoe,
Torsten.

* Strange yank behaviour
@ 2004-07-27 17:27 Torsten Bronger
From: Torsten Bronger @ 2004-07-27 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Halloechen!

Sometimes, when I want to insert something with C-y, I don't get the
last but the *second* last snippet that I've killed.  With M-y I can
switch to the correct one.  It doesn't happen always, and I don't
know under which conditions.

How can I switch off this behaviour?  I use GNU Emacs 21.3.50.2.

Thank you!

Tschoe,
Torsten.

* Re: Strange yank behaviour
@ 2004-07-28  5:25 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2004-07-28  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <m3isc9xsvj.fsf@wilson.rwth-aachen.de>,
 Torsten Bronger <bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> Halloechen!
>
> Sometimes, when I want to insert something with C-y, I don't get the
> last but the *second* last snippet that I've killed.  With M-y I can
> switch to the correct one.  It doesn't happen always, and I don't
> know under which conditions.
>
> How can I switch off this behaviour?  I use GNU Emacs 21.3.50.2.

It should never happen in the first place.  Are you sure you're not
giving a numeric argument to C-y?  M-2 C-y will yank the 2nd item on the
killing ring, M-3 C-y will yank the 3rd, and so on.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: Strange yank behaviour
@ 2004-07-28 17:42 ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2004-07-28 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Torsten Bronger <bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

>Halloechen!
>
>Sometimes, when I want to insert something with C-y, I don't get
>the last bust the *second* last think that I've killed.  With M-y I
>can switch to the correct one.
>
>How can I switch off this behaviour?  I use GNU Emacs 21.3.50.2.

Not exact, but related...
check out browse-kill-ring.el (google)
--
Mike Slass

* Re: Strange yank behaviour
@ 2004-07-28 18:10   ` Torsten Bronger
From: Torsten Bronger @ 2004-07-28 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Halloechen!

Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> In article <m3isc9xsvj.fsf@wilson.rwth-aachen.de>,
>  Torsten Bronger <bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
>
>> Sometimes, when I want to insert something with C-y, I don't get
>> the last but the *second* last snippet that I've killed.  With
>> M-y I can switch to the correct one.  It doesn't happen always,
>> and I don't know under which conditions.
>>
>> How can I switch off this behaviour?  I use GNU Emacs 21.3.50.2.
>
> It should never happen in the first place.  Are you sure you're
> not giving a numeric argument to C-y?

Yes.  Since I've failed to make it reproducible so far, I assume
that it happens due to an unstable CVS version that I got.  My Emacs
seems to switch into this strange yank mode approximately twice per
week and stays there until restarted, but sometimes it recovers
earlier.  Yes, I do know how odd this sounds.  :-/

Anyway, I think I can live with it until the next release.

Tschoe,
Torsten.

* Re: Strange yank behaviour
@ 2004-07-28 18:29     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2004-07-28 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Torsten Bronger <bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> Halloechen!
>
> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>
> > In article <m3isc9xsvj.fsf@wilson.rwth-aachen.de>,
> >  Torsten Bronger <bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Sometimes, when I want to insert something with C-y, I don't get
> >> the last but the *second* last snippet that I've killed.  With
> >> M-y I can switch to the correct one.  It doesn't happen always,
> >> and I don't know under which conditions.
> >>
> >> How can I switch off this behaviour?  I use GNU Emacs 21.3.50.2.
> >
> > It should never happen in the first place.  Are you sure you're
> > not giving a numeric argument to C-y?
>
> Yes.  Since I've failed to make it reproducible so far, I assume
> that it happens due to an unstable CVS version that I got.  My Emacs
> seems to switch into this strange yank mode approximately twice per
> week and stays there until restarted, but sometimes it recovers
> earlier.  Yes, I do know how odd this sounds.  :-/

gcc-3.4 ?

* Re: Strange yank behaviour
@ 2004-07-29 15:55       ` Torsten Bronger
From: Torsten Bronger @ 2004-07-29 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Halloechen!

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Torsten Bronger <bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
>
>> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:

>>> [...]
>>
>> [...]  Since I've failed to make it reproducible so far, I assume
>> that it happens due to an unstable CVS version that I got.  My
>> Emacs seems to switch into this strange yank mode approximately
>> twice per week and stays there until restarted, but sometimes it
>> recovers earlier.  Yes, I do know how odd this sounds.  :-/
>
> gcc-3.4 ?

I compiled Emacs with gcc 3.3.1.

Tschoe,
Torsten.