all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Scrolling *backward* in a non-active window
@ 2003-05-12  3:41 Christopher
From: Christopher @ 2003-05-12  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know that you can scroll forward in a non-active window by using
C-M-v, but is there a way to scroll that window backward?

* Re: Scrolling *backward* in a non-active window
@ 2003-05-12  8:19 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-05-12  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christopher <christop@localhost.localdomain> writes:

> I know that you can scroll forward in a non-active window by using
> C-M-v, but is there a way to scroll that window backward?

M-- C-M-v

* Re: Scrolling *backward* in a non-active window
@ 2003-05-12 11:28   ` Christopher
From: Christopher @ 2003-05-12 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Christopher <christop@localhost.localdomain> writes:
>
> > I know that you can scroll forward in a non-active window by using
> > C-M-v, but is there a way to scroll that window backward?
>
> M-- C-M-v
>
> --
> David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum

I'm not sure what the two dashes following the first "M" mean.
C-M-v means that I'm holding down all three keys at the same time, but
precisely what action is signified by the "M--" preceding it?

Incidentally, I discovered by accident while reading your post that
C-RET scrolls the non-active window one line at a time, and that M-RET
scrolls it backward one line at a time.

Thanks.

* Re: Scrolling *backward* in a non-active window
@ 2003-05-12 12:28 ` Jiri Pejchal
From: Jiri Pejchal @ 2003-05-12 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christopher <christop@localhost.localdomain> writes:

> I know that you can scroll forward in a non-active window by using
> C-M-v, but is there a way to scroll that window backward?

I have
<M-prior> scroll-other-window-down
<M-next> scroll-other-window

prior = PageUp
next = PageDown

--
Jiri Pejchal

* Re: Scrolling *backward* in a non-active window
@ 2003-05-12 15:44     ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2003-05-12 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <m3k7cwxv3x.fsf@localhost.localdomain>,
Christopher  <christop@localhost.localdomain> wrote:
>David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Christopher <christop@localhost.localdomain> writes:
>>
>> > I know that you can scroll forward in a non-active window by using
>> > C-M-v, but is there a way to scroll that window backward?
>>
>> M-- C-M-v
>>
>> --
>> David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum
>
>I'm not sure what the two dashes following the first "M" mean.
>C-M-v means that I'm holding down all three keys at the same time, but
>precisely what action is signified by the "M--" preceding it?

M-<char> means hold down Meta while pressing <char>, so M-- means hold down
Meta while pressing "-".  C-M-v takes a numeric argument telling it how
many screens to scroll.  If it's negative, it goes the other direction, and
the minus sign is the way you give a negative argument (leaving out the
number defaults to 1).

--
Barry Margolin, barry.margolin@level3.com
Genuity Managed Services, a Level(3) Company, Woburn, MA

* Re: Scrolling *backward* in a non-active window
@ 2003-05-12 22:16       ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-05-12 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Barry Margolin <barry.margolin@level3.com> writes:

> In article <m3k7cwxv3x.fsf@localhost.localdomain>,
> Christopher  <christop@localhost.localdomain> wrote:
>>David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

>>> M-- C-M-v
>>>
>>> --
>>> David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum
>>
>>I'm not sure what the two dashes following the first "M" mean.
>>C-M-v means that I'm holding down all three keys at the same time, but
>>precisely what action is signified by the "M--" preceding it?
>
> M-<char> means hold down Meta while pressing <char>, so M-- means hold down
> Meta while pressing "-".  C-M-v takes a numeric argument telling it how
> many screens to scroll.  If it's negative, it goes the other direction, and
> the minus sign is the way you give a negative argument (leaving out the
> number defaults to 1).

C-M-V works for me.

* Re: Scrolling *backward* in a non-active window
@ 2003-05-12 23:21       ` Christopher
From: Christopher @ 2003-05-12 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Barry Margolin <barry.margolin@level3.com> writes:

> In article <m3k7cwxv3x.fsf@localhost.localdomain>,
> Christopher  <christop@localhost.localdomain> wrote:
> >David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> >> M-- C-M-v
> >>
> >> --
> >> David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum
> >
> >I'm not sure what the two dashes following the first "M" mean.
> >C-M-v means that I'm holding down all three keys at the same time, but
> >precisely what action is signified by the "M--" preceding it?
>
> M-<char> means hold down Meta while pressing <char>, so M-- means hold down
> Meta while pressing "-".  C-M-v takes a numeric argument telling it how
> many screens to scroll.  If it's negative, it goes the other direction, and
> the minus sign is the way you give a negative argument (leaving out the
> number defaults to 1).
>
> --
> Barry Margolin, barry.margolin@level3.com
> Genuity Managed Services, a Level(3) Company, Woburn, MA
> *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.
> Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to
> the group.

Thank you very much. I did not occur to me to take the second dash to
mean that I should actually hit the "-" key. (Duh).

* Re: Scrolling *backward* in a non-active window
@ 2003-05-13 14:42         ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-05-13 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Lee wrote:

> C-M-V works for me.