The Status Notification Specification is a D-Bus spec for what are sometimes called "systray icons". It lets applications create systray icons using just D-Bus, rather than the mix of different things required by the older spec. The spec itself is here: http://www.notmart.org/misc/statusnotifieritem/index.html As far as I know, only KDE currently implements this spec. However, nothing prevents it from being implemented in other desktops. Attached are 2 files to implement the spec for Emacs: * status.el, the basic implementation * erc-status.el, adding an icon for ERC. The icon blinks when someone pings you, and clicking it switches to the appropriate buffer. I'd like to check these in to Emacs. However, I was uncertain where to locate them, so I thought I would post here first. I also have a similar file, emms-status.el, to add an icon for EMMS; and a few bits of elisp to add something similar for the calendar (plus calls to notifications.el for appointments...). I can send those along if anybody cares. Tom