all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* compile in specific folder
@ 2007-06-20  9:51 Martin
From: Martin @ 2007-06-20  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I am using emacs to work on a project that needs to be compiled (call
make) in a specific folder, independent of the current buffer.
At the moment I am using this:

(global-set-key [(f9)] 'my-compile)

(defun my-compile ()
    "compile in our standard directory"
    (interactive)
    (cd mypath)
    (call-interactively 'compile)
    )

However, this has the drawback that after a compile my minibuffer
always starts in mypath instead of the current buffer's path.
Any ideas there?
And while we're on the topic of compiling.
How do I make compile to be non-interactive?
=> I want to be able to define a key for "make all" and one for just
"make.

Thanks in advance

Martin

* Re: compile in specific folder
@ 2007-06-20 12:59 ` Peter Dyballa
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-06-20 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 20.06.2007 um 11:51 schrieb Martin:

> However, this has the drawback that after a compile my minibuffer
> always starts in mypath instead of the current buffer's path.
> Any ideas there?

Open in dired-mode mypath and start to compile!

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.

* Re: compile in specific folder
@ 2007-06-20 14:32 ` Denis Bueno
       [not found] ` <mailman.2446.1182351242.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Denis Bueno @ 2007-06-20 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin, help-gnu-emacs

On 06/20/2007 03:51, "Martin" <m.gercke@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using emacs to work on a project that needs to be compiled (call
> make) in a specific folder, independent of the current buffer.
> At the moment I am using this:
>
> (global-set-key [(f9)] 'my-compile)
>
> (defun my-compile ()
>     "compile in our standard directory"
>     (interactive)
>     (cd mypath)
>     (call-interactively 'compile)
>     )
>
> However, this has the drawback that after a compile my minibuffer
> always starts in mypath instead of the current buffer's path.
> Any ideas there?

Perhaps an alternate definition will suffice?

    (defun my-compile ()
      (interactive)
      (let ((default-directory mypath))
        (call-interactively 'compile)))

-Denis

* Re: compile in specific folder
@ 2007-06-20 16:32 ` Tom Tromey
       [not found] ` <mailman.2446.1182351242.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tom Tromey @ 2007-06-20 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Martin> I am using emacs to work on a project that needs to be compiled (call
Martin> make) in a specific folder, independent of the current buffer.

I usually use "make -C $DIR" for this.

However, as someone else posted, if you go your route, it is better to
let-bind default-directory.

Martin> How do I make compile to be non-interactive?
Martin> => I want to be able to define a key for "make all" and one for just
Martin> "make.

In Emacs Lisp, interactive commands are also ordinary lisp functions.
You can call compile like: (compile "make all")

Tom

@ 2007-07-03  9:15   ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2007-07-03  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Perhaps an alternate definition will suffice?
>
>     (defun my-compile ()
>       (interactive)
>       (let ((default-directory mypath))
>         (call-interactively 'compile)))