I don't have a test case for this bug, I'm afraid, but here's what I'm seeing: I read mail and news while travelling by using a putty client on my phone. I ssh in to my home machine and have a screen there with an Emacs running Gnus. It seems like that when Emacs is doing network stuff (web/news), the cursor is displayed momentarily visually at the first point in the screen. Then it's displayed momentarily at the first point in the echo area. Sometimes this repeats a few times. Often the entire connection hangs while it's doing this -- I'm unable to exit the screen for instance, so I suspect that Emacs is actually moving the cursor back and forth between these two positions more rapidly than my phone is able to display. Once while this was happening, I got an SMS from my telco warning me about large roaming data costs, which further points to this behaviour generating a lot of data over the wire. I have no idea how to start debugging this problem, but it's easily reproducible for me. It started happening about half a year ago. Does anybody have any inkling what might be causing this problem? If not, I can try to see if I can find a way to debug this. Uhmn... Oh, here's an strace from me typing `n' (next article) in Gnus four times. The second and fourth time this cursor-moving behaviour was triggered: