all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to get rid of the tool-kit mode-line in Emacs21?
@ 2002-10-26 18:24 wgh
From: wgh @ 2002-10-26 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Ever since I downloaded Emacs21, I got those ugly scroll-bar,
tool-bar and mode-line in that fancy tool-kit. I found
out how to disable the tool-bar:

(tool-bar-mode -1)

in .emacs or simply M-x tool-bar-mode

I also found out how to disable the scroll-bar which requires you
to recompile Emacs21 with the --without-toolkit-scroll-bars option.
However I haven't figured out how to revert the mode-line back
to Emacs20 style.

Does anyone know how to just have Emacs21 look the way it did?

Thanks.

* Re: How to get rid of the tool-kit mode-line in Emacs21?
@ 2002-10-29 12:20 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-10-29 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

"wgh" <wgh@askme.ok> writes:

> However I haven't figured out how to revert the mode-line back
> to Emacs20 style.

Try `M-x customize-face RET mode-line' and change the face to the way
you want it to look.

* Re: How to get rid of the tool-kit mode-line in Emacs21?
@ 2002-10-30 23:15 ` Carlos Condé
From: Carlos Condé @ 2002-10-30 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

"wgh" <wgh@askme.ok> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Ever since I downloaded Emacs21, I got those ugly scroll-bar,
> tool-bar and mode-line in that fancy tool-kit. I found
> out how to disable the tool-bar:
>
> (tool-bar-mode -1)
>
> in .emacs or simply M-x tool-bar-mode
>
> I also found out how to disable the scroll-bar which requires you
> to recompile Emacs21 with the --without-toolkit-scroll-bars option.
> However I haven't figured out how to revert the mode-line back
> to Emacs20 style.
>
> Does anyone know how to just have Emacs21 look the way it did?
>
> Thanks.

You can simply customize the face of the mode-line to remove the 3D
box effect around the line...

M-x customize-face [RET] modeline