all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* diabling colors on tty
@ 2003-02-18 15:26 Pavel Hlavnicka
From: Pavel Hlavnicka @ 2003-02-18 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

simple question: Is there some trick, how to disable ALL colors (except
black and white) on text terminal, but keep all lovely colors if running
X-windowed emacs?

(Be hard, I can use lisp quite fine :)

Thanks in advance

Pavel

--
Pavel Hlavnicka
Ginger Alliance

* Re: diabling colors on tty
@ 2003-02-18 15:38 ` Brendan Halpin
From: Brendan Halpin @ 2003-02-18 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pavel Hlavnicka <pavel@gingerall.cz> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> simple question: Is there some trick, how to disable ALL colors
> (except black and white) on text terminal, but keep all lovely
> colors if running X-windowed emacs?

>From the command line I use "TERM=vt100 emacs -nw" (Linux/bash).

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin,  Department of Sociology,   University of Limerick,  Ireland
<mailto:brendan.halpinATul.ie>        <http://wivenhoe.staff8.ul.ie/~brendan>

* Re: diabling colors on tty
@ 2003-02-19  8:17 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2003-02-19  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Pavel> Hi all,

 Pavel> simple question: Is there some trick, how to disable ALL
 Pavel> colors (except black and white) on text terminal, but keep all
 Pavel> lovely colors if running X-windowed emacs?

 Pavel> (Be hard, I can use lisp quite fine :)

Put a section in your .emacs which turns off global-font-lock-mode if
you are running on a tty or turns it on if your runing under X. I use

(if (and (eq window-system 'x) (not noninteractive))

To set font colours to one colour under X and another when running
under a term. You could possibly use the same test to turn on font
lock mode under X and turn it off under a tty.

Tim

--
Tim Cross