all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* inserting end-of-line in the minibuffer
@ 2003-03-11 21:19 jean daniel browne
From: jean daniel browne @ 2003-03-11 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I try to change the following
foo
bar
foo
bar

into the following
foo$bar$foo$bar$

It could be done with a search and replace but I cannot type the
end-of-line character in the minibuffer. Can you ?  Where did you find the
info? (I go crazy I did it a week ago)

Thank you very much.

JDB

* Re: inserting end-of-line in the minibuffer
@ 2003-03-11 21:55 ` Andrew Markebo
From: Andrew Markebo @ 2003-03-11 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

| It could be done with a search and replace but I cannot type the
| end-of-line character in the minibuffer. Can you ?  Where did you find the
| info? (I go crazy I did it a week ago)

Throw a C-q on emacs, and it will insert the next character typed, not
"executing" it, so C-q C-j in the minibuffer will make some magic for
you.

        /Andy
--
 The eye of the beholder rests on the beauty!

* Re: inserting end-of-line in the minibuffer
@ 2003-03-11 22:11 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-03-11 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

jean daniel browne <browneje@etu.utc.fr> writes:

> I try to change the following
> foo
> bar
> foo
> bar
>
> into the following
> foo$bar$foo$bar$
>
> It could be done with a search and replace but I cannot type the
> end-of-line character in the minibuffer. Can you ?

You can type it with `C-q RET'.

> Where did you find the info?

Hmm, it's not mentioned under `query-replace' in the manual, but the
section about incremental search [1] says that you can use `C-q' to
search for control characters.

[1] In isearch you can just do `C-j' to search for eol, though.  Maybe
it's a little inconsistent that it doesn't work in query-replace.

* Re: inserting end-of-line in the minibuffer
@ 2003-03-12 13:27   ` jean daniel browne
From: jean daniel browne @ 2003-03-12 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You can type it with `C-q RET'.
It doesn't seems to work with NTemacs 21.2.2.1

Though your post was very useful because you named "control character". I
found a section in the manual on this subject: `C-q C-j' does work on my
machine

thank you very much, indeed.

JDB

> > I try to change the following
> > foo
> > bar
> > foo
> > bar
> >
> > into the following
> > foo$bar$foo$bar$
> >
> > It could be done with a search and replace but I cannot type the
> > end-of-line character in the minibuffer. Can you ?
>

> > Where did you find the info?
>
> Hmm, it's not mentioned under `query-replace' in the manual, but the
> section about incremental search [1] says that you can use `C-q' to
> search for control characters.
>
> [1] In isearch you can just do `C-j' to search for eol, though.  Maybe
> it's a little inconsistent that it doesn't work in query-replace.

jd
44 sq. Mare Gaudry - appt.17
06 07 65 98 82