all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gnus: using different e-mail addresses for different groups
@ 2004-10-21 15:29 Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2004-10-21 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use Gnus to read news from two sources. One source is the
internal news server where I work and the other is at
news.individual.net.

Now, to avoid spam to my e-mail address at work I use my
"trash" address on hotmail (the one you will see in this
posting). Works quite well, until someone at work decides to
reply to me and not the group. The reply will arrive at the
hotmail address, and I do not want my work e-mails there.

Can I train Emacs to use a different e-mail address for
different groups? Right now Gnus gets the value from the
user-mail-address variable.

/Mathias

* Re: Gnus: using different e-mail addresses for different groups
@ 2004-10-21 16:00 ` Sebastien Kirche
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Sebastien Kirche @ 2004-10-21 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 21 Oct 2004, Mathias Dahl s'est exprimé ainsi :

Hi,

> I use Gnus to read news from two sources. One source is the
> internal news server where I work and the other is at
> news.individual.net.
>
> Now, to avoid spam to my e-mail address at work I use my
> "trash" address on hotmail (the one you will see in this
> posting). Works quite well, until someone at work decides to
> reply to me and not the group. The reply will arrive at the
> hotmail address, and I do not want my work e-mails there.
>
> Can I train Emacs to use a different e-mail address for
> different groups? Right now Gnus gets the value from the
> user-mail-address variable.

Take a look  to the "posting styles" that let you  define custom headers and
also evaluations depending on the group you are writing.

Maybe something like that will help :

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/emacs-lisp, Size: 420 bytes --]

Regards,
Sébastien Kirche

* Re: Gnus: using different e-mail addresses for different groups
@ 2004-10-21 16:02 ` Sebastien Kirche
From: Sebastien Kirche @ 2004-10-21 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 21 Oct 2004, Mathias Dahl a formulé :

> I use Gnus to read news from two sources.

BTW, maybe you should post Gnus  specific questions to its dedicated group :
gnu.emacs.gnus

Sébastien Kirche

* Re: Gnus: using different e-mail addresses for different groups
@ 2004-10-21 16:26 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2004-10-21 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@hotmail.com> writes:

> Can I train Emacs to use a different e-mail address for
> different groups? Right now Gnus gets the value from the
> user-mail-address variable.

Yes, you can. Have a look at the info node `(gnus)Posting Styles'.

Regards,
Tassilo
--
echo '[dO%O+38%O+PO/d0<0]Fi22os0CC4BA64E418CE7l0xAP'|dc

* Re: Gnus: using different e-mail addresses for different groups
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-10-21 16:30 ` Alexandre Russel
From: Alexandre Russel @ 2004-10-21 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Can I train Emacs to use a different e-mail address for
> different groups?
What I use doesn't work on group but on identity:
First define identity:
(setq gnus-alias-identity-alist
        '(("firstIdentity" "" "\"My self\" <bob@hotmail.com>" "" nil "" "")
          ("secondIdentity" "" "\"My self\" <bob@workmail.com>" "" nil "" "")))
Now that you set up 2 identities, you can ask gnus to use one depending of the header.
At my work everybody will use a workmail.com address so I can ask to send all the
mail for a workmail.com address with the second identity:
(setq gnus-alias-identity-rules
        '(("send mails to anyone at workmail with secondIdentity" ("To" ".*workmail.*" current) "secondIdentity")))
It probably can be improve a lot but has been working for me.
And gnu.emacs.gnus would probably give you much better information.
Alex

* Re: Gnus: using different e-mail addresses for different groups
@ 2004-10-22  8:36   ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2004-10-22  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sebastien Kirche <sebastien.kirche.no@spam.free.fr.invalid> writes:

> > Can I train Emacs to use a different e-mail address for
> > different groups? Right now Gnus gets the value from the
> > user-mail-address variable.
>
> Take a look  to the "posting styles" that let you  define custom headers and
> also evaluations depending on the group you are writing.

Thanks! That was what I wanted. This snippet does what I need:

(setq gnus-posting-styles
      '((".*"
         (address "xyz@abc.com"))
        ("^comp.ifs"