all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#6945: active-minibuffer-window returns nil when prompt overwritten by message
@ 2010-08-30 10:30 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-08-30 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 6945

Eval the following

(defun temp-active-mb ()
  (message "active-minibuffer-window = %s" (active-minibuffer-window)))

(progn
  (run-with-idle-timer 1 nil 'message "idle message")
  (run-with-idle-timer 2 nil 'temp-active-mb)
  (y-or-n-p "Prompt: ")
  )

This gives me the message "active-minibuffer-window = nil".

Is there any way then to discover whether Emacs is displaying a prompt
and waiting for input?

* bug#6945: active-minibuffer-window returns nil when prompt overwritten by message
@ 2010-08-30 12:44 ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2010-08-30 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: 6945

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 12:30:37 +0200 Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Eval the following
>

> (defun temp-active-mb ()
>   (message "active-minibuffer-window = %s" (active-minibuffer-window)))
>
> (progn
>   (run-with-idle-timer 1 nil 'message "idle message")
>   (run-with-idle-timer 2 nil 'temp-active-mb)
>   (y-or-n-p "Prompt: ")
>   )
>
> This gives me the message "active-minibuffer-window = nil".

When I eval the above sexps on GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu,
GTK+ Version 2.18.6) of 2010-08-22 on escher, I first briefly see the
message "Prompt: (y or n)", then "idle message", then
"active-minibuffer-window = " with the cursor after "= "; as soon as I
type any other key, I get "Prompt: (y or n)" again.

> Is there any way then to discover whether Emacs is displaying a prompt
> and waiting for input?

Are you trying this on MS-Windows?  If so, it seems to be a problem
there.

Steve Berman

* bug#6945: active-minibuffer-window returns nil when prompt overwritten by message
@ 2010-08-30 13:09   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-08-30 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: 6945

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 12:30:37 +0200 Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Eval the following
>>

>> (defun temp-active-mb ()
>>   (message "active-minibuffer-window = %s" (active-minibuffer-window)))
>>
>> (progn
>>   (run-with-idle-timer 1 nil 'message "idle message")
>>   (run-with-idle-timer 2 nil 'temp-active-mb)
>>   (y-or-n-p "Prompt: ")
>>   )
>>
>> This gives me the message "active-minibuffer-window = nil".
>
> When I eval the above sexps on GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu,
> GTK+ Version 2.18.6) of 2010-08-22 on escher, I first briefly see the
> message "Prompt: (y or n)", then "idle message", then
> "active-minibuffer-window = " with the cursor after "= "; as soon as I
> type any other key, I get "Prompt: (y or n)" again.
>
>> Is there any way then to discover whether Emacs is displaying a prompt
>> and waiting for input?
>
> Are you trying this on MS-Windows?  If so, it seems to be a problem
> there.

Thanks Stephen. However it looks to me from what you write above like
active-minibuffer-window does not return a window in this case on
GNU/Linux either.

* bug#6945: active-minibuffer-window returns nil when prompt overwritten by message
@ 2010-08-30 13:11 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2010-08-30 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: 6945

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> (defun temp-active-mb ()
>   (message "active-minibuffer-window = %s" (active-minibuffer-window)))
>
> (progn
>   (run-with-idle-timer 1 nil 'message "idle message")
>   (run-with-idle-timer 2 nil 'temp-active-mb)
>   (y-or-n-p "Prompt: ")
>   )
>
> This gives me the message "active-minibuffer-window = nil".

y-or-n-p does not use the minibuffer, so this is correct.

> Is there any way then to discover whether Emacs is displaying a prompt

This is just a message in the echo area.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* bug#6945: active-minibuffer-window returns nil when prompt overwritten by message
@ 2010-08-30 13:46   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-08-30 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: 6945

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> (defun temp-active-mb ()
>>   (message "active-minibuffer-window = %s" (active-minibuffer-window)))
>>
>> (progn
>>   (run-with-idle-timer 1 nil 'message "idle message")
>>   (run-with-idle-timer 2 nil 'temp-active-mb)
>>   (y-or-n-p "Prompt: ")
>>   )
>>
>> This gives me the message "active-minibuffer-window = nil".
>
> y-or-n-p does not use the minibuffer, so this is correct.
>
>> Is there any way then to discover whether Emacs is displaying a prompt
>
> This is just a message in the echo area.

Thanks, I see. I had forgotten that.

Correct, but very inconvenient.

Is there a way to detect this situation then? (Emacs is "paused",
waiting for input while a "prompt" is displayed.)

* bug#6945: active-minibuffer-window returns nil when prompt overwritten by message
@ 2010-08-30 13:48     ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2010-08-30 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: 6945

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 15:09:23 +0200 Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 12:30:37 +0200 Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Eval the following
>>>

>>> (defun temp-active-mb ()
>>>   (message "active-minibuffer-window = %s" (active-minibuffer-window)))
>>>
>>> (progn
>>>   (run-with-idle-timer 1 nil 'message "idle message")
>>>   (run-with-idle-timer 2 nil 'temp-active-mb)
>>>   (y-or-n-p "Prompt: ")
>>>   )
>>>
>>> This gives me the message "active-minibuffer-window = nil".
>>
>> When I eval the above sexps on GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu,
>> GTK+ Version 2.18.6) of 2010-08-22 on escher, I first briefly see the
>> message "Prompt: (y or n)", then "idle message", then
>> "active-minibuffer-window = " with the cursor after "= "; as soon as I

Correction: "active-minibuffer-window = nil" and "= nil", i.e. same as you.

>> type any other key, I get "Prompt: (y or n)" again.
>>
>>> Is there any way then to discover whether Emacs is displaying a prompt
>>> and waiting for input?
>>
>> Are you trying this on MS-Windows?  If so, it seems to be a problem
>> there.
>
> Thanks Stephen. However it looks to me from what you write above like
> active-minibuffer-window does not return a window in this case on
> GNU/Linux either.

I guess I misunderstood -- I thought you were reporting you saw no
prompt and could not get it with the above recipe.  As for
active-minibuffer-window not returning a window, maybe I still
misunderstand, but I get the message "active-minibuffer-window = nil"
not only with the above progn, but also with this:

"active-minibuffer-window = nil".

>> When I eval the above sexps on GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu,
>> GTK+ Version 2.18.6) of 2010-08-22 on escher, I first briefly see the
>> message "Prompt: (y or n)", then "idle message", then
>> "active-minibuffer-window = " with the cursor after "= "; as soon as I

Correction: "active-minibuffer-window = nil" and "= nil"

>> type any other key, I get "Prompt: (y or n)" again.
>>
>>> Is there any way then to discover whether Emacs is displaying a prompt
>>> and waiting for input?
>>
>> Are you trying this on MS-Windows?  If so, it seems to be a problem
>> there.
>
> Thanks Stephen. However it looks to me from what you write above like
> active-minibuffer-window does not return a window in this case on
> GNU/Linux either.

I guess I misunderstood -- I thought you were reporting you saw no
prompt and could not get it with the above recipe.  As for
active-minibuffer-window not returning a window, maybe I still
misunderstand, but I get the message "active-minibuffer-window = nil"
not only with the above progn, but also with this:

"active-minibuffer-window = nil".

>> When I eval the above sexps on GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu,
>> GTK+ Version 2.18.6) of 2010-08-22 on escher, I first briefly see the
>> message "Prompt: (y or n)", then "idle message", then
>> "active-minibuffer-window = " with the cursor after "= "; as soon as I

Correction: "active-minibuffer-window = nil" and "= nil"

>> type any other key, I get "Prompt: (y or n)" again.
>>
>>> Is there any way then to discover whether Emacs is displaying a prompt
>>> and waiting for input?
>>
>> Are you trying this on MS-Windows?  If so, it seems to be a problem
>> there.
>
> Thanks Stephen. However it looks to me from what you write above like
> active-minibuffer-window does not return a window in this case on
> GNU/Linux either.

I guess I misunderstood -- I thought you were reporting you saw no
prompt and could not get it with the above recipe.  As for
active-minibuffer-window not returning a window, maybe I still
misunderstand, but I get the message "active-minibuffer-window = nil"
not only with the above progn, but also with this:

(progn
  (run-with-idle-timer 1 nil 'message "idle message")
  (run-with-idle-timer 2 nil 'temp-active-mb)
  )

and even just with this:

(run-with-idle-timer 2 nil 'temp-active-mb)

So the prompt seems to make no difference.  Or do you see (or expect)
something different?

Steve Berman

* bug#6945: active-minibuffer-window returns nil when prompt overwritten by message
@ 2010-08-30 13:57       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-08-30 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: 6945

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> wrote:

> I guess I misunderstood -- I thought you were reporting you saw no
> prompt and could not get it with the above recipe.  As for
> active-minibuffer-window not returning a window, maybe I still
> misunderstand, but I get the message "active-minibuffer-window = nil"

That is what I get too.

> not only with the above progn, but also with this:
>
> (progn
>  (run-with-idle-timer 1 nil 'message "idle message")
>  (run-with-idle-timer 2 nil 'temp-active-mb)
>  )
>
> and even just with this:
>
> (run-with-idle-timer 2 nil 'temp-active-mb)
>
> So the prompt seems to make no difference.  Or do you see (or expect)
> something different?

I expected active-minibuffer-window to return a window, but as Andreas
has pointed out y-or-n-p is implemented in a different way. It just
call `message' and then read a key from the user.

However I would like to detect such situations too. From the users
point of view they are very similar to other prompts. (If you replace
`y-or-n-p' with `yes-or-no-p' then active-minibuffer-window will
return a window.)

* bug#6945: active-minibuffer-window returns nil when prompt overwritten by message
@ 2020-08-20 18:25 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-08-20 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: 6945

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> Eval the following
>
> (defun temp-active-mb ()
>   (message "active-minibuffer-window = %s" (active-minibuffer-window)))
>
> (progn
>   (run-with-idle-timer 1 nil 'message "idle message")
>   (run-with-idle-timer 2 nil 'temp-active-mb)
>   (y-or-n-p "Prompt: ")
>   )
>
> This gives me the message "active-minibuffer-window = nil".
>
> Is there any way then to discover whether Emacs is displaying a prompt
> and waiting for input?

I'm unable to reproduce this bug in Emacs 28.  The way prompts work with
asynchronous messages has changed substantially over the last year,
which probably explains it.  So I'm closing this bug report -- if
there's still an issue here, please respond to the debbugs address and
we'll reopen the bug report.