all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: how would you debug complex regexp searches??
@ 2003-09-21  0:58 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-09-21  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

gmayer@cs.bgu.ac.il writes:

> How would one go about debugging complicated regular expressions? Is
> there some way of single-stepping through a regexp matching, so that
> I can see all the characters that were matched?

're-builder' is quite handy for writing and debugging regexps.

It's bundled with recent versions Emacs -- read the Commentary section
of re-builder.el to learn how to use it.

* how would you debug complex regexp searches??
@ 2003-09-21  1:08 gmayer
From: gmayer @ 2003-09-21  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello:

How would one go about debugging complicated regular expressions? Is there
some way of single-stepping through a regexp matching, so that I can see all
the characters that were matched?

Thanks,

Mayer

* Re: how would you debug complex regexp searches??
@ 2003-09-21 14:29   ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2003-09-21 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> gmayer@cs.bgu.ac.il writes:
>
> > How would one go about debugging complicated regular expressions? Is
> > there some way of single-stepping through a regexp matching, so that
> > I can see all the characters that were matched?
>
> 're-builder' is quite handy for writing and debugging regexps.
>
> It's bundled with recent versions Emacs -- read the Commentary section
> of re-builder.el to learn how to use it.

Check you antislashes!

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__ http://www.informatimago.com/ Do not adjust
your mind, there is a fault in reality.

* Re: how would you debug complex regexp searches??
@ 2003-09-22 14:02 ` Gareth Rees
From: Gareth Rees @ 2003-09-22 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mayer wrote:
> How would one go about debugging complicated regular expressions? Is
> there some way of single-stepping through a regexp matching, so that I
> can see all the characters that were matched?

I find `isearch-forward-regexp' (bound to `C-M-s' by default) very
useful when debugging regexps: you can see interactively what each bit
of the regexp matches.

--
Gareth Rees