all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Simple script for building CVS version of Emacs fails
@ 2004-10-05 22:01 William Payne
From: William Payne @ 2004-10-05 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, if I'm off-topic, I apologise, and I'd like to know where I should
ask this question. I hope I'm on-topic, because I have feeling that several
regulars to this group are using a CVS version of Emacs and maybe could help
me.

Consider this simple bash script which is supposed to check out the latest
emacs sources and build them:
#!/bin/bash
cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
cd emacs/nt/
./configure.bat --with-gcc --no-cygwin --no-debug --cflags -I/usr/include/noX
make bootstrap
make install

The actual checkout works fine, but the build process quickly ends with the
following error message:
gcc -o oo-spd/i386/preprep.exe \
            -mno-cygwin  oo-spd/i386/preprep.o

Essential Lisp files seem to be missing.  You should either
do `make bootstrap' or create `lisp/abbrev.elc' somehow.

exit: Illegal number: -1
make: *** [maybe-bootstrap-SH] Error 2

What am I doing wrong here? The script is issuing a make bootstrap and not
just a make. I was hoping time would fix this problem, but it must be local
to cygwin or something because I've had it for weeks now. Any ideas?

/ WP

* Re: Simple script for building CVS version of Emacs fails
@ 2004-10-06  1:17 ` Mark Plaksin
       [not found] ` <mailman.1610.1097025858.2017.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Mark Plaksin @ 2004-10-06  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

"William Payne" <mikas493_no_spam@student.liu.se> writes:

> ./configure.bat --with-gcc --no-cygwin --no-debug --cflags -I/usr/include/noX
> make bootstrap
> make install

I use 'make maintainer-clean' before running configure.  This resolved
problems I had building various versions.  Maybe it will help you too.

@ 2004-10-06 12:09   ` William Payne
From: William Payne @ 2004-10-06 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Mark Plaksin" wrote:
 "William Payne" writes:

>> ./configure.bat --with-gcc --no-cygwin --no-debug --cflags -I/usr/include/noX
>> make bootstrap
>> make install
>
> I use 'make maintainer-clean' before running configure.  This resolved
> problems I had building various versions.  Maybe it will help you too.

Thanks, but in which directory did you do that? I get:
$ make maintainer-clean
[Please ignore a syntax error on the next line - it is intentional]
Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
make: *** No rule to make target `maintainer-clean'.  Stop.

@ 2004-10-06 13:51 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-10-06 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wrong group.  Read INSTALL.CVS to see where to post such questions.
Not that it bothers me, but you'll get more/better answers there.