all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: postscript output?
@ 2007-01-01 16:55 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-01-01 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 01.01.2007 um 18:37 schrieb Jan Brosius:

> Is it possible to have postscript output in one of the buffers of
> emacs?

Yes. You can visit in a buffer the PS output file.

Or do you want to see the PS code from printing from GNU Emacs? Then
substitute ps-print... with ps-spool...!

--
Greetings

   Pete

  "A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take
away."
                                  -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* postscript output?
@ 2007-01-01 17:37 Jan Brosius
From: Jan Brosius @ 2007-01-01 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Is it possible to have postscript output in one of the buffers of emacs?
I googled around but couldn't find an answer to this question.

Thanks,
Jan

* Re: postscript output?
@ 2007-01-01 18:24     ` Tom Rauchenwald
From: Tom Rauchenwald @ 2007-01-01 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Brosius <jan.brosius@skynet.be> writes:

> Peter Dyballa wrote:
>>
>> Am 01.01.2007 um 18:37 schrieb Jan Brosius:
>>
>>> Is it possible to have postscript output in one of the buffers of emacs?
>>
>> Yes. You can visit in a buffer the PS output file.
>>
>> Or do you want to see the PS code from printing from GNU Emacs? Then
>> substitute ps-print... with ps-spool...!
>>
> I have tried ps-print-buffer but I cannot send postscript to another
> buffer for preview.
> Is there something I overlook?

M-x ps-spool-buffer or ps-spool-buffer-with-faces do what you
want. You should then have a buffer named *Postscript* which you can
save for instance.

Tom

* Re: postscript output?
@ 2007-01-01 18:54   ` Jan Brosius
From: Jan Brosius @ 2007-01-01 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 01.01.2007 um 18:37 schrieb Jan Brosius:
>
>> Is it possible to have postscript output in one of the buffers of emacs?
>
> Yes. You can visit in a buffer the PS output file.
>
> Or do you want to see the PS code from printing from GNU Emacs? Then
> substitute ps-print... with ps-spool...!

I have tried ps-print-buffer but I cannot send postscript to another
buffer for preview.
Is there something I overlook?

> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete
>
>  "A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
> longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take
> away."
>                                  -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: postscript output?
@ 2007-01-02 10:42       ` Jan Brosius
From: Jan Brosius @ 2007-01-02 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Tom Rauchenwald wrote:
> Jan Brosius <jan.brosius@skynet.be> writes:
>

>> Peter Dyballa wrote:

>>> Yes. You can visit in a buffer the PS output file.
>>>
>>> Or do you want to see the PS code from printing from GNU Emacs? Then
>>> substitute ps-print... with ps-spool...!
>>>

>> I have tried ps-print-buffer but I cannot send postscript to another
>> buffer for preview.
>> Is there something I overlook?
>>

> M-x ps-spool-buffer or ps-spool-buffer-with-faces do what you
> want. You should then have a buffer named *Postscript* which you can
> save for instance.

I have done this and I get a buffer called *Postscript*.  Is it possible
to preview this buffer in Emacs in another buffer?

Jan

> Tom

* Re: postscript output?
@ 2007-01-03 21:35         ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2007-01-03 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Tom Rauchenwald

Jan> I have done this and I get a buffer called *Postscript*.  Is it
Jan> possible to preview this buffer in Emacs in another buffer?

So you want to see what the generated PostScript code will print out
when sent to a printer?

You could, in that *Postscript* buffer, hit:

    M-<  C-@  M->  M-|

and then type out the command:

    gv -

gv should then bring up a X window with the rendered PS.

You may need C-Space for C-@.

If you don't have gv installed, you may be able to do that with
another viewer.

You can also make a macro from those keystrokes, name it, and bind
that to a key sequence if you will use if often.

Or you can write a quick lisp function that switches to *Postscript*
and calls (shell-command-on-region (point-min) (point-max) "gv -").

To get the output into an Emacs buffer, you'd have to call gs rather
than gv, specifying one of the image backends Emacs can grok, and have
that output to a buffer.  It is doable, but I'd need to bone up on the
docs to figure it out.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

* Re: postscript output?
@ 2007-01-04 15:10           ` Jan Brosius
From: Jan Brosius @ 2007-01-04 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

James Cloos wrote:

> Jan> I have done this and I get a buffer called *Postscript*.  Is it
> Jan> possible to preview this buffer in Emacs in another buffer?
>
> So you want to see what the generated PostScript code will print out
> when sent to a printer?
>

> To get the output into an Emacs buffer, you'd have to call gs rather
> than gv, specifying one of the image backends Emacs can grok, and have
> that output to a buffer.  It is doable, but I'd need to bone up on the

Can you tell me where I can find this documentation?

Thanks
Jan
> docs to figure it out.
>
> -JimC

* Re: postscript output?
@ 2007-01-04 18:36             ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2007-01-04 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jan> Can you tell me where I can find this documentation?

The Emacs Lisp Reference Manual; it is part of the distribution.

You can read it in info mode (C-h i m elisp RETURN) or print it out.

-JimC
--

@ 2007-01-09 14:07           ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2007-01-09 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

James Cloos wrote:

> Jan> I have done this and I get a buffer called *Postscript*.  Is it
> Jan> possible to preview this buffer in Emacs in another buffer?
>
> So you want to see what the generated PostScript code will print out
> when sent to a printer?
>
> You could, in that *Postscript* buffer, hit:

> and then type out the command:
>
>     gv -
>
> gv should then bring up a X window with the rendered PS.
>
> You may need C-Space for C-@.

`M-<' and `M->' both set the mark, so you can skip `C-@'.  Even easier
is `C-x h' (M-x mark-whole-buffer).

--