all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problem in gnus.texi
@ 2010-10-02  8:03 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-02  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Makeinfo complains thusly:

    makeinfo --force gnus.texi
    gnus.texi:15114: warning: `.' or `,' must follow @xref, not `f'.

This is because the offending text:

    This variable can also be a fancy split method.  See @xref{Fancy Mail
    Splitting} for the syntax.

should have a comma after "Syntax}", but doesn't.

Btw, "See @xref" is also incorrect.  @xref already produces "See"
before the link, so this will yield two "See"s in a row.

I didn't fix this myself, because gnus.texi is maintained elsewhere,
AFAIK.

* Re: Problem in gnus.texi
@ 2010-10-02 13:10 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-02 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Btw, "See @xref" is also incorrect.  @xref already produces "See"
> before the link, so this will yield two "See"s in a row.

I've fixed this now.

* Re: Problem in gnus.texi
@ 2010-10-02 15:18   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-02 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 15:10:28 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Btw, "See @xref" is also incorrect.  @xref already produces "See"
> > before the link, so this will yield two "See"s in a row.
>
> I've fixed this now.

Sorry, but it's not the right fix.  The new text is this:

    This variable can also be a fancy split method.  For the syntax,
    @pxref{Fancy Mail Splitting}.

This is not correct usage of @pxref.  It is only meant to be used in
parentheses (thus the "p" part in "pxref").  It produces an extra
period, which will look badly without the surrounding parens.

What you want is "see @ref":

    This variable can also be a fancy split method.  For the syntax,
    see @ref{Fancy Mail Splitting}.

* Re: Problem in gnus.texi
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-02 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> What you want is "see @ref":
>
>     This variable can also be a fancy split method.  For the syntax,
>     see @ref{Fancy Mail Splitting}.

Thanks; fixed now.