all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* IMAP clien for Emacs?
@ 2004-03-05  9:38 fsu
From: fsu @ 2004-03-05  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Currently I am running mutt in an OSX terminal as my email client
with Emacs as the mail editor. Even though I like mutt a lot for
speed and imap support, I would prefer an IMAP client in Emacs to
avoid the endless switching between the apps, better customization
through lisp and being able to read mail while replying to messages.

I have looked at three options so far, but would like some guidance
on which one to use (gnus, vm and wanderlust).

Important to me are:

- Speed!
- Filing in IMAP mailboxes
- Copying sent mail to IMAP mailbox
- CRAM/MD5

and while traveling
- Partial downloading of large messages
- Disconnected operation

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Frank

* Re: IMAP clien for Emacs?
@ 2004-03-05 10:21 ` kodo
From: kodo @ 2004-03-05 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

fsu@sonnemans.net writes:

> I have looked at three options so far, but would like some guidance
> on which one to use (gnus, vm and wanderlust).

Well gnus works perfectly for me. It's just great to have one tool for
reading news, mail, slashdot and and and :)

See http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_158.html for info on howto set it up

Just give it a try and see for yourself...

--

greetings,

kodo

[ http://kodo.me.uk ]

* Re: IMAP clien for Emacs?
@ 2004-03-05 21:58 ` LEE Sau Dan
From: LEE Sau Dan @ 2004-03-05 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

    fsu> Hi, Currently I am running mutt in an OSX terminal as my
    fsu> email client with Emacs as the mail editor. Even though I
    fsu> like mutt a lot for speed and imap support, I would prefer an
    fsu> IMAP client in Emacs to avoid the endless switching between
    fsu> the apps, better customization through lisp and being able to
    fsu> read mail while replying to messages.

Gnus.

    fsu> I have looked at three options so far, but would like some
    fsu> guidance on which one to use (gnus, vm and wanderlust).

    fsu> Important to me are:

    fsu> - Speed!

At my site, the IMAP server works slowly.  Gnus can't help with that.

    fsu> - Filing in IMAP mailboxes

No problem.  My site enables procmail by default, and I sort the mails
directly by  procmail (not by  Gnus's filtering mechanism).   The IMAP
server sees only the sorted mailboxes.

    fsu>  - Copying sent mail to IMAP mailbox

No  problem.  Gnus  let's you  move  mail from  anything to  anything,
provided that the latter supports  "writing" (i.e. no Dejanews for the
destination.)

    fsu>  - CRAM/MD5

What's that?  Gnus works  with mailcrypt.el, which signs, encrypts and
verifies mails via GnuPG.

    fsu> and while traveling - Partial downloading of large messages

Enable the "Agent" function of Gnus.

    fsu> - Disconnected operation

I'm offline  right now.  Yes, I'm  just posting news,  not mails.  But
Gnus treat mail and news alike.

--
Lee Sau Dan                     李守敦(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)

E-mail: danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de