all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
To: Scott Turner <srt19170@gmail.com>
Cc: 16117@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#16117: Patch for Emacsclient Unwanted Warning
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 17:02:01 +0200	[thread overview]

Scott Turner <srt19170@gmail.com> writes:

> In emacsclient, if an existing Emacs server cannot be found and an
> alternate editor is specified, the alternate editor is started.  Along
> the way, emacsclient generates a warning that the server cannot be
> found.
>
> On Windows, this warning is a pop-up dialog box that must be dismissed
> by the user.  This is an unwanted interruption, and irrelevant, since
> the user has already indicated by using the --alternated-editor option
> how to handle this situation.
>
> The patch below suppresses this warning when the user has specified
> both the --quiet option and the --alternate-editor option.  The
> reasoning is that --quiet mutes all messages on success, and that
> because the --alternate-editor has been specified, this message is not
> reporting an error.  It seems like a reasonable compromise that will
> allow users to see this warning if they like (by not using --quiet)
> and allow users to avoid it if they like (by using --quiet).

I think your patch makes sense, and the problem is still present in
Emacs, five years after your report.

---
$ emacsclient --quiet --alternate-editor /usr/bin/vi /tmp/a
emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
To start the server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".
---

Does anybody else have an objection to not outputting that error message
if both --quiet and --alternate-editor is used?