all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Setting up Emacs as the default editor
@ 2003-11-30 17:02 Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-11-30 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

        I am trying  to set up Emacs so it will  be the default editor
on my system --  as oppossed to Vile.  So I added  the following in my
machines /etc/bashrc:

,----[ in my /etc/bashrc:
| EDITOR=emacs
| export EDITOR
`--------------------------

        So I decided to try it out with crontab.  I typed crontab -e
and wrote a new crontab, typed C-x C-s, and C-x C-c.  The file was
saved, but my crontab remained empty.  Is this an issue with the way
that emacs is set up on my system, or is it a crontab issue?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

* Re: Setting up Emacs as the default editor
@ 2003-12-01  8:50 ` Klaus Zeitler
From: Klaus Zeitler @ 2003-12-01  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Dan>         So I decided to try it out with crontab.  I typed crontab -e
    Dan> and wrote a new crontab, typed C-x C-s, and C-x C-c.  The file was
    Dan> saved, but my crontab remained empty.  Is this an issue with the way
    Dan> that emacs is set up on my system, or is it a crontab issue?

don't think it's an emacs problem. This works fine for me, though I use
gnuclient instead of emacs as EDITOR.

BTW I wouldn't recommend setting EDITOR to emacs. You might want to use
emacsclient or gnuclient (extra package) instead.

Klaus

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
---
The goal of Computer Science is to build something that
will last at least until we've finished building it.

* Re: Setting up Emacs as the default editor
@ 2003-12-01 14:01   ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2003-12-01 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Klaus Zeitler <kzeitler+usenet@gsm-mailhost.de.lucent.com> writes:

> BTW I wouldn't recommend setting EDITOR to emacs

Why not?

* Re: Setting up Emacs as the default editor
@ 2003-12-01 14:44     ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2003-12-01 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Tim> Klaus Zeitler <kzeitler+usenet@gsm-mailhost.de.lucent.com>
  Tim> writes:

  >> BTW I wouldn't recommend setting EDITOR to emacs

  Tim> Why not?

It's a pain. Emacs gets invoked by all sorts of applications, and
Emacs generally has a bad start up time (depending on how fat your
.emacs gets of course).

Much better to set it to gnuclient, or emacsclient, or some such. Then
you can have a single Emacs with lots of buffers.

Cheers

Phil

* Re: Setting up Emacs as the default editor
@ 2003-12-01 16:03       ` Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-12-01 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phillip Lord <p.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:

>   Tim> Klaus Zeitler <kzeitler+usenet@gsm-mailhost.de.lucent.com>
>   Tim> writes:
>
>   >> BTW I wouldn't recommend setting EDITOR to emacs
>
>   Tim> Why not?
>

> It's a pain. Emacs gets invoked by all sorts of applications, and
> Emacs generally has a bad start up time (depending on how fat your
> .emacs gets of course).

        Yes, but  while I  can cut and  paste between  Emacs sessions,
it's generally a pain when an emacsclient pops up when I don't want it
to.  Sometimes I *want* a seperate emacs session.

@ 2003-12-01 16:40         ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2003-12-01 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

  >> It's a pain. Emacs gets invoked by all sorts of applications, and
  >> Emacs generally has a bad start up time (depending on how fat
  >> your .emacs gets of course).

  Dan>         Yes, but while I can cut and paste between Emacs
  Dan>         sessions,
  Dan> it's generally a pain when an emacsclient pops up when I don't
  Dan> want it to.  Sometimes I *want* a seperate emacs session.

That's true also. It would be nice to have the choice at times.

To be honest almost the only time an editor gets invoked through
EDITOR, in my hands, I'm logged in as root, and I end up using VI.....

Phil